Looking for photos for anti drinking & driving program

shozzy

Quote: "Preferably, as bad as it sounds, fatals or debilitating injuries. It's also good to have a little blood and gore for the shock factor"! Can hardly have 1 w/out the other!

Shozzy, check out www.ogrish.com

BUT PLEASE BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/font:819277ce97]

www.rotten.com (some of the verbage is a bit raw on this site)

Seems to me they had some pics.

The Faces of Death flicks have some good stuff too.

One of the most riveting things my old high school does is have the Fire Chief come to speak to the driver's ed class (although I realize this isn't for DE, I will use it as an example). His first call as a probie was a car accident his kid brother (he was DOA) was involved in. He then goes into the whole story, complete with film and pics of the accident. My daughter was shook up about it but I think it made an impact on her.

Kids are difficult to reach and sometimes you have to get in their face with things. Maybe schedule a trip to the county morgue, have the coroner come in or perhaps see if you can get a few people who have been actual victims who have survived such an ordeal. We have a Rehab center near me where victims of drunk driving are housed, as well as closed head injuries, strokes, MS patients, ect, all of them quadrapeligics. Some of them do a victim's impact panel for DUI offenders at the county jail. They tell their story and many of them have pitures of the accident as well. Perhaps you have access to something like that.

We do a whole day with grade 9 classes (try to get them just before they start driving.)

First thing they do is write a small test or questionnaire in the morning, then the fire chief talks to them a bit then we do about a 30-45 minute presentation for them on various injuries, golden hour, safety ect ect. After that they go outside and we do a scenario with the FD , MVC with extrication and what not. From there they move to the hospital where the ER doc talks to them a bit, mid way through his speech he has us come rolling in with a mock patient and does the whole works from chest tubes to reducing a femur # to when the pt. finally codes and he calls it. Hes amazing at it to, he has a whole bunch of props and makeup and some concoction hes made up that looks eerily similar to eviscerated organs. After that the students have lunch supplied but when they sit each of them has a card in front of them with a different disability on it and the physio people have it so they eat lunch with whatever disability they received, could be someone has to feed them to a muscle stimulator that gives them tremors. After that they then have family members of victims of alcohol related trauma come in and speak. It's and awesome program, Myself and a coworker set it up with the boys and girls club 5 years ago and it keeps getting better. I work in a smaller town and we have actually seen our statistics drop locally for alcohol related trauma in the younger age group. I like to think that we've had an effect on it anyways. If anyone is interested in starting up something like this in there area get in touch and i can try to help out in any way possible and thanks again for all the links and pictures its been a big help.

shozzy

That's really great Shozzy. I wish we could such programs all over.

There might also be use in having another program when they hit 11th grade for reinforcement. I bet you could lower the alcohol related trauma in the older kids as well. As someone who just finished school, I know that those various trainings we get seem to wear off after awhile, but for a long time we'll remain very sensitive to the issue, be it drugs or diversity issues or sexual assault awareness.

And except for the really social deviants who are going to choose to break the rules anyway just because they don't care, most students are highly responsive to social pressures. At my high school people were ultra aware about not driving after drinking and people would turn in their keys during house parties. If someone were to drive drunk one weekend, they'd would've been taking a lot of flak the following Monday.

But you have to keep re-inforce the trainings for them to stick and remain the social norms. In college a lot of the old warnings from teachers wore off, but we also became hyper sensitive to other things like sexual assault...b/c that's what the school focused on. It was constantly on our minds and it became dangerously uncool to publically disregard the trainings/classes we'd attended on the topic. Again social influence at work.

PS

Sorry for the rambling