Stay and Play and Load and Go Scenarios

With a kid I never stay and play. The call can turn to $hit too fast and that's a road I don't want to go down.

I have to agree with Dust on load and go with basics. I am a basic and that's what we do. We just aren't equipped to stick around and diddle with the patient. Where I live, we have a 20 minute trip to the nearest hospital. Best to get on the road and besides, what on earth do we actually have to play with on a basic unit? Get them in the rig and get them to the er.

And why would a basic be sent on either one of these runs?

The second is obviously an ALS job, but the first is just a trauma, no need for ALS that I can think of... No unmanageable airway, no need for needle decompression... all that needs to be done is immobilize and monitor for signs of shock, in which case you treat for shock, and signs of rising inter-cranial pressure, in which you can hyperventilate... either way they need a surgeon, not a medic.

With a kid I never stay and play. The call can turn to $hit too fast and that's a road I don't want to go down.

I second that.... that's the big difference in peds.... they compensate, compensate, compensate, boom their dead.

The second is obviously an ALS job, but the first is just a trauma, no need for ALS that I can think of... No unmanageable airway, no need for needle decompression... all that needs to be done is immobilize and monitor for signs of shock, in which case you treat for shock, and signs of rising inter-cranial pressure, in which you can hyperventilate...

Of course we know that now, but we didn't know that when the run was dispatched. The run was an unconscious child and should have been dispatched ALS.

If you are looking for true "stay and play" scenarios for the basic, you had better limit it to uncomplicated extremity injuries that require splinting. There really is no other patient I can think of that a basic can justify spending any time on the scene with. If I were your instructor, I would be very pleased if you were to recognize that, and very disappointed if you didn't.

And why would a basic be sent on either one of these runs?

In some areas you don't get a choice. The county I am in is run by a volunteer system, with some companies having paid first responders (there is also a large number of volly ALS personel). There is no guarantee what you will get, it's a crap shoot. Pretty pathetic for one of the largest volly systems in the country/world. The call is dispatched to whoevers district the call is in and whoever shows up goes on the call. Most of the time there is some form of ALS on each call, but there is no guarantee. We even have a few companies in the area that are not ALS. It's a sad situation that does nothing to improve pt care, but the volunteer system has become such a part of the history here that it will take hell freezing over to change it. Sorry to run on so long, it is just s frustrating situation that will never improve.

If you are looking for true "stay and play" scenarios for the basic, you had better limit it to uncomplicated extremity injuries that require splinting. There really is no other patient I can think of that a basic can justify spending any time on the scene with. If I were your instructor, I would be very pleased if you were to recognize that, and very disappointed if you didn't.

Most seem to have missed that this "is an assignment".

Dust seems to have your best and fastest path to an A.

Dwayne