Last minute pointers for job interview...

Well Im back from the interview. It went well during the interviewing portion, but during the lift test, it was bit scary.

1.) I was taught on a stryker gurney and they used Fernos - so it was a little bit different to try and learn on the Ferno - I did however let them know that I had never used a Ferno cot before and I asked if I could have a dry run before the lift test, and they happily agreed and showed me the ways of the Ferno.

2.) They were a relaxed bunch which in turn helped me to relax. They joked and cut up and asked the following questions-

a.) Can you take a good ribbing on a daily basis? (My answer was yes - I grew up in a household where that was common.)

b.) Sum yourself up in 5 words (Hardworking, honest, loyal, laid back, funny)

c.) What are your personal interests or hobbies (I said HRC - Hunting Retriever Club.)

d.)Do you have friends or accquaintances that work in EMS - (I named a neighbor of mine, and a boy I went to school with.)

e.) Do you have dreams or aspirations beyond EMS? (I said no, I hope to someday get Paramedical education and certification, and I hope to stay in EMS as long as I am physically and mentally able to.)

f.) What are your weaknesses. (I said sometimes I feel like I have some difficulty explaining myself or having to explain a process or procedure to someone.)

g.) Would you be willing to relocate? (Yes of course, Im being as flexible as rubber!)

h.) Are you married? (No, divorced.)

i.) Any children? (Yes, one daughter.)

j.) How old is your daughter? (2 and will turn 3 in September)

k.) are you over 21? (Yes)

l.) What are your strong points? (I follow orders well, I work hard, I expect no less than the best from myself and others, I keep myself up to speed on special updates in regards to pre-hospital care, I am able to let things that are not truly meaningful slide off my back.)

m.) would you be willing to work extra shifts? (Yes.)

n.) Have you ever called in to work? (Not unless my child was sick.)

o.) Have you worked nightshifts or long hours? (Yes, I worked nightshift at Mitchell's Nursing Home, I also volunteered for holidays and some weekends there as well, and I have been known to work several jobs at one time.)

p.) What do you consider a good time? (Spending time with my daughter and my dog - which make up my family at this point.)

q.) Have you ever done anything illegal in the past year? (No.)

r.) Do you have a clean driving record? (Yes)

Those are all the questions I can remember off the top of my head. It was nervous having to do a panel interview but it wasnt as scary as I thought it would be.

The questions I asked-

What is your call volume (over 4,000/year)

Do you help pay for CEUs? (Yes, we have inhouse CEUs.)

Will I go through a professional orientation should I get hired? (Yes, we have a day where you come in and fill out the necessary paperwork, and you will get to meet most everybody.)

Then I asked for a tour of the station and a look at their equipment- and they did - Im glad I did, they have nice living quarters that are spacious and are currently going through renovations, where they are putting in new carpet, showers, and paint.

Then the lift test-

This was kinda nerve wracking as I havent lifted a cot in a long time, so I asked to take some time to let myself get reaccquainted with it. They put 2 boxes of IV bags on the cot (which were about 100 pounds - so its 175 pounds altogether) And I did that, then they brought in some live weight - a 6ft 200 pound man that I had to lift into the ambulance. I was feeling it in my arms and legs as I was lifting 275 pounds total into an ambulance, and with me being short I was at a disadvantage from the start. I got him in there, it took some work, but I got him in there without injury to me or my "patient".

They said they would give me a phone call if I got hired, but if I didnt I would get a letter - so as of right now - I do NOT want to receive a letter!

I shook their hands and thanked them for allowing me to come down and have an interview and I said I hoped that I was the right choice to be hired. Hopefully I do get hired. It would make me happy beyond belief.

thanks for all of your help and advice guys, now I just need a few good thoughts and prayers and hope that I did get hired so I can finally embark on the EMS journey.

Alco 8)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alco that is great news! My recent interview included a 120 question multiple choice exam, physical with lift test and a cup to fill. As your interview is in the next county you may want to bring a change of clothes for the lift test if your interview wear is not suitable.

I would recommend that you do not let on to any issues you may have with scheduling. Let them know you are totally flexible, willing to pay your dues and excited to work for them. It will be easier to negotiate your needs once you have an employee number. If the service has a website or other available resource then use it to learn about the company and then work that knowledge into either a question or response during your interview. Be early, be alert, have good posture, smile and thank them for the interview both before and after. Hearty good mornings to all employees and office personnel that you encounter as they may be an informal part of the interview process.

Good luck! :D

I'm not sure that I would wait to tell them about any schedule issues until I was hired. If they hire you with a specific time slot in mind and that doesn't work for you, that's a problem. With many places you are on probation for the first "x" number of months that you're on the job. During this time they can terminate your employment for ANY reason. It's better to be honest with them and in my experience this will make them more willing to work with you. And if they can't work with you for whatever reason, you're not wasting your time or theirs and can move on. Ask questions.

Good luck,

Shane

Man, they're kind of pushing the legal limits of propriety with their personal questions. No matter how innocent their line of questioning may have been, I am a little concerned about any company who doesn't know better than to ask personal questions like that of their applicants. It may be a sign that they remain dangerously ignorant about contemporary standards that more professional organizations keep themselves apprised of.

But that's all technicalities though. Overall, I kinda like the sound of this. It sounds like they are friendly people who like to relate closely to their employees. Even if it borders on inappropriate, it is still a good sign. If their facilities are nice to begin with, and they are still in the process of upgrading, then I particularly like the sound of that. And any employer that gives their applicants the courtesy of a rejection letter earns points in my eyes. Leaving people hanging is just plain rude. They wouldn't want to be treated that way, so it is unacceptable to treat others that way.

How big an organization is this? How many units, how many stations, how many people? Is it 911 or transfers?

I would like to have had a little more in depth answer to the orientation question. Sounds like they misunderstood you.

Regardless, this sounds like a good foot in the door for you. I really hope it works out!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.