Alberta College of Paramedics/Suicide

Jeep_911

Hey guys

for those of you out in Alberta as well as any one of you who have info. I have been wondering how governing bodies such as ACP here in alberta would react to an EMS provider committing suicide or also a provider who has at some point of time attempted suicide. Would ACP allow them to get back to work if they were to decide months/years down the road to come back(after putting their life back together)? would they maybe be considered mentally unstable and not allowed to come back to the profession?

Those of you who are in the states, what would happen there?

I have always wondered that. Being in the field that we are in working with the public would we be treated differently??

:? :?:

Although it is a tragic event, I have not seen any special changes for those that have committed suicide while in school. Most are under the opinion that it occurred for mental health reasons, not associated with the profession or school. Life continues as normal.

Far as those that have attempted, there are many that have deep problems. Unfortunately, this profession requires "stable" mental health as much as possible. Many medics, IMHO feel that this is not the place for those that have a history or have unstable periods. The patient life depends upon it, the medics life depend on it as well as yours might as well. Clear thinking without any disturbances as much as possible.

Many will refuse to work with or be partnered with those until cleared. Yes, there is privacy, when it involves ALL lives, it a matter for all.

Be safe,

R/R 911

Jeep, it depends on the situation and circumstances behind it. If it got to the point where they restricted or removed your ability to practice, you would probably first have to retrain at your respective level and then need to be medically cleared by a Psychiatrist to say you are fit to practice. You would also probably have to have a Psychiatrist say you are not fit to practice in the first place.

Try talking to ACP directly. The next question I guess is this about you or someone you know, or is it 'hypothetical'?

Around where I live, the medic has to be examined by a psyciatrist as well as a dr. to determine fittness.

It also depends on how they attempted suicide. If they took drugs from the ambulance or workplace, then their license is pulled.

Personally, I have no problems working with someone who has attempted suicide. As long as they have been cleared for the job, I see no reason to make things any more difficult for them than they already are. Everyone is different and some are just not comfortable with it.

I worked with a partner who thank god trusted me enough to tell me they were thinking of it. When asked if they had a plan they said yes. I asked when they were going to carry it out and they said they already had begun it. Needless to say we stopped working and went straight to the ER and he was treated for an overdose of Dilaudid. All turned out ok and he is still working and is a better and stronger person due to the treatment. I can't imagine what he was goin thru but after a divorce, a car wreck and a ped code we didn't save the shift before he decided to end it all. But he trusted me enough to allow me to help him get help.

My work was sympathetic and provided him with tremendous support thru it all.

• 3 months later...

This has happened in my service recently. Where a ems provider attempted suicide, and I had to go and get him. I had a whole range of emotions regarding the situation. I seen a side of this person that I suspected existed and now my fears were concerned. Now he is allowed back to work and we are all a little freaked out about it. We work in a very small community where I know alot of my Pt's. outside of work and news travels fast. What is the public perception? Does the public feel confident and safe when he arrives on there doorstep? I already know he has went off meds and drinking. He is very manipulative and pushy in trying to prove a point. I have made the decision to not work with him, but what about the public and there family, should a mentally unstable personality be allowed to work in ems?

should a mentally unstable personality be allowed to work in ems?

Definitely not. However, "mental instability" is far from a permanent condition. Also, you are not qualified to make the call as to whether someone is mentally fit to work or not. On the other hand, if you have concerns i.e. the individual is drinking while on the job or acting inappropriately or failing in their pt care then you do have responsibility to report this to your employer.

As far as suicide or suicide attempts go, I am sure that they happen to people in this field the same if not more frequently then in the general public. I seem to remember a similar discussion on this board a few months ago, but I digress. I don't know of any of my coworkers that have ever made a serious or successful suicide attempt, but that definitely doesn’t mean it doesn’t or hasn’t occurred. Firstly there is such a high turnover rate in this field, ex-paramedics may be killing themselves left right and center and there is no way we would ever know about it. We do not have the brother/sisterhood that some other emergency services have where you are a member for life or death.

I do know of a police officer that committed suicide while on the job last year. He shot himself in the head. My colleague pronounced him obvious due to eviscerated brain matter. There was a huge turn out at his funeral, mostly police officers in dress uniform.

I couldn't help wondering if it had been a paramedic under the same circumstances would he have received the same respect and show of solidarity from his colleagues?

• 4 months later...

I can understand the worry with an EMS worker who is experiencing suicidal thoughts or god-forbid actions, due to stress with the job. However, what is the opinion on someone who has had a suicide attempt prior to enterting the industry? Do you view this as a weakness or as a life experience that now helps you to deal with those you encounter in the same situation?

I will spill the beans here, I have previously attempted suicide, damn near succeeded. It has been a few years since then and I now have my "crap" together so to speak. I am now just beginning my career in the EMS Industry and I see my experience as a benefit. Perhaps some of you would be afraid to work with me knowing my history, but should you be? I don't think so. I believe that anyone that makes it through an experience like that can only come out on top, you can't "NOT" learn from it. You re-evaluate you life inside and out and decide what is truly important. Hence why I am pursueing this career. I have worked in the ER and every shift we had at least one suicide attempt, and am now working in a Neuro-Rehab unit where a few of the patients are trying to recover what's left of their brains from their attempt. I personally think that my own experience with suicide and how it feels to "be in that state of mind" gives me a huge advantage over the other staff who don't understand this fragile state. I'm no psychiatrist, but I have been able to connect with many of these patients and have been able to be there for them and know what to say and what not to say to be most beneficial.

Sorry, I start to ramble, bottom line, brushes with suicide are looked at as such a horrible thing that no one wants to discuss or get involved with, but the reality of it is, life is difficult. And to come out on top of a situation like that doesn't come without a higher sense of being and purpose in life. Don't look down on these people, they may have had a glimpse into a world you have no idea about.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.