Question to people in FDs

Para-Medic

Under NYS law, a child may so be left at a hospital, Firehouse, or Police station, so at least the child will be safe. The mother cannot be questioned beyond what already has been mentioned.

HOWEVER...

The current FDNY Commish used to run Child Services, which itself is under fire for reasons I'm not going to go into. The commish wants the firefighters and the FDNY EMS crews to hold the mother for the cops, in total violation of State law.

Again, proof of my belief, if it makes sense, it's against the law in NYC.

I don't know about this.... I recently gone through this particular thing at the FDNY academy and they made it very clear... anyone can drop off any child at any FDNY ambulance and the crew is required to take the child, attempt to get any information possable about name, age, and medical history, and transport the child to the er. I honestly don't know any of the specifics about the supression side but I thought they were suppose to do the same and call an ambulance to transport.

But I still think it's a great program. I would rather the paperwork that goes along with it then pronouncing a decomp baby :D

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting statistics say that in states that have implemented the law allowing this to happen, the incidence of mothers dumping babies in dumpsters has actually increased.

Dust - I hope you are not insinuating that this is a cause and effect relationship. If so, it is misuse of statistics. You make no mention of the rates in other states (increase, decrease, same), and have also not mentioned the number of children actually dropped off at these "safe" places. The increase may be due to a general increase of unwanted pregnancies, a downturn in the economy, or any number of other factors. Would the children who were turned in to hospitals or fire stations have ended out in dumpsters too? If so, the program has proven its worth.

Dust - I hope you are not insinuating that this is a cause and effect relationship.

No, absolutely not. What I am saying is that this "solution" is not addressing the problem, and therefore should not be viewed as a cure. And that we should never underestimate the stupidity induced by estrogen.

No, absolutely not. What I am saying is that this "solution" is not addressing the problem, and therefore should not be viewed as a cure. And that we should never underestimate the stupidity induced by estrogen.

Well you attention seeking moron....lol....what can I say to this (other than tracking you down and castrating you because we all know that testosterone causes a hell of a lot more problems than estrogen) except where is your data?

Did you all read that Fox news article Phireman posted above? Are people in south Dakota really that stupid and ignorant? I guess so. Freekin scary stuff! I guess they weren't joking when they said congress is the opposite of progress.

Well you attention seeking moron....lol....what can I say to this (other than tracking you down and castrating you because we all know that testosterone causes a hell of a lot more problems than estrogen) except where is your data?

Any attention from you is good! :)

Estrogen induced stupidity, huh? You wanna hear about the injuries I've treated in my male friends? From sheer stupidity? Guess they must have excess estrogen! :)

Wendy

NREMT-B

We've had a similiar problem in California. Apparantly people just don't know about the law. They have no idea that you can leave an unwanted baby at a hospital or fire station instead of a dumpster. Sad, but true.

I blame the lawmakers for the ridiculous law that makes it illegal to sell a baby.

If women thought they could get crack money for their baby, they'd sell them instead of putting them in a dumpster.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.