Question to people in FDs

Para-Medic

Hi everyone,

This might be random but since the news about abortions it got me thinking. I remember there was something about women who wanted to leave children/infants could go to fire departments to drop them off there. I'm guessing to reduce infant deaths from abandonment. So, I'm wondering if anyone here has had this happen at their fire departments. Also if you all have some sort of procedure to handle this situation.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's called "Safe Haven". It didn't happen at our FD, but it did happen at the ER that I work in. I wasn't working that night, but my wife was. The PD and child services are called. The baby is given a complete physical (obviously) and released to child services.

It's called "Safe Haven". It didn't happen at our FD, but it did happen at the ER that I work in. I wasn't working that night, but my wife was. The PD and child services are called. The baby is given a complete physical (obviously) and released to child services.

During that moment is the parent or guardian withheld for any reason? Do you need to get any important information from the parent or make them sign a form?

NO! Absolutely not!

That defeats the whole purpose of the program. We had a turn in at our fire station. Your job is to accept the child, ask the mother if she wants or needs anything and take whatever she volunteers, but do not pressure. This is a last resort effort so these babies don't end up dead, so we make the transition as smooth as possible. This is not the time to make judgements or ask a ton of questions. If she wanted to be hounded with paperwork or signing forms, she could have gone to child services or an adoption agency. This is in my experience a totally anonymous transaction. The girls I have heard about were underage and scared. A few were druggies as well. But all in all, I am glad this program exists without the mother having to face any charges.

Oh dear. I hope no one would drop a child off at our station... no one is there a lot of the time...

I am pretty sure our department doesn't do this. Good question to raise about the issue though.

Oh dear. I hope no one would drop a child off at our station... no one is there a lot of the time...

I am pretty sure our department doesn't do this. Good question to raise about the issue though.

Its a state law thing love...anyone can drop a child at your station, no questions asked.

[web:34c3def925]http://www.ncsl.org/programs/cyf/ailaws.htm[/web:34c3def925]

Under NYS law, a child may so be left at a hospital, Firehouse, or Police station, so at least the child will be safe. The mother cannot be questioned beyond what already has been mentioned.

HOWEVER...

The current FDNY Commish used to run Child Services, which itself is under fire for reasons I'm not going to go into. The commish wants the firefighters and the FDNY EMS crews to hold the mother for the cops, in total violation of State law.

Again, proof of my belief, if it makes sense, it's against the law in NYC.

$hit! You aren't kidding me, are you?! I just hope no one would... in our area out here... it would not be a good idea.

Just think about where I live... "Deliverance". :(

Grace

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.