Grades for sale, coming soon to a school near you?

Michael

What a shame that this educator has to lower her standards just to keep her tenure. Is this contributing to the " dumbing down " of America?, or anyway else for that matter.

I think in our world of drive thrus and 1 hr photos, ppl expect to attain high grades in exchange little effort. In out effort to keep up with Asia, we are producing students with excellent marks, yet poor education. Disheartening to say the least.

I hope this doesn't happen to EMS, but I believe it's already started, my program included unfortunately.

Wow... sad story... but one that I can empathize with. It's really no different than offering remediation to students. Luckily I don't have to deal with those end of the year evaluations (at least not that anyone has told me about so far.... :shock: but, I can identify with the "school" needing to look good.. and the instructor being asked to ensure that it happens.

Just another indication of what happens when learning institutions need to "sell" themselves to continue operation. There are solutions - standardized testing on a regular basis will at least give an indication of whether or not the marks are being padded. Accrediting and monitoring the actually knowledge of a graduate will help to keep the marks valid. I would much rather attend a school that encourages instructors to be have high standards - if not, I might as well buy one of those email degrees that spam up my inbox. It will take a shift in thinking by schools and students. Evaluating an instructor by the marks they give their own students is ridiculous. There has to be some accountability. Hopefully this shift can happen before standards are hopelessly degraded.

Wow... sad story... but one that I can empathize with. It's really no different than offering remediation to students.

When I was in Basic class we were offered remediation. Fail a test, remediate with the instructor and you change to the lowest passing grade. At first I thought he was kidding....How do you fail, yet still pass? (Thank goodness I was never in need of this service, but better than half the class I think was, many on several occasions.

As the class progressed I came to understand that they did whatever was necessary to pass students into their Advanced Academy.

Pretty sad that my teachers couldn't see that our failing was their failing and adjust accordingly instead of coming up with this sanctioned cheating.

I do have an issue with the teacher from the article. If they are as good a teacher as they claim, why the need to cheat to make grades and gain student approval? Isn't good teaching defined by the ability to pass on information and engage students?

Dwayne

Yes, good teaching is defined by the ability to engage students and pass on information. Good teaching is not, however, passing students on to the next level just to gain the acceptance of the institution and the public. If they can't do it, they can't do it, and every teacher has come across a group of students who quite simply is below par. It is not necessarily a reflection on your teaching. What is a negative reflection is passing a group of substandard students to inflict their inferior knowledge and ability upon the public. Nobody wins with mark padding. Nobody!

I agree with above posts, although I question her "self integrity". She brags about her feminism and she is labeled as a "bitch" or "hard instructor". Although admirably, that might be, I also had professors whom pride themselves as failing students as much as passing them. If you compare her grading, she really did not change them. a to A- etc. is not really going to change grade level, maybe a GPA.

Yes, it is a shame she felt obligated to change her grades, it is also a shame she could not come up additional ways of improving course work or even maybe evaluate herself as a professor and wonder why her students do poorly. At the same comparison, I have seen many students lately, that definitely that did not deserve to pass.

Interesting article.

Be safe,

R/R 911