Input on EMT age restrictions and getting experience first..

Spineboard06

Hi,

I'm new around here, and wanted to post a couple of questions I have. I'm currently taking my EMT-B course. I had a few questions that I thought maybe a couple of you could give some input.

Are there any age limits for EMT-B's to actually work for an Ambulance company? If so, is there a set standard or is it different everywhere?

My other question is concerning what the next step to take. I hope to eventually get into a Paramedic program. In my state we don't stair step levels, so I could go directly into it. However, is that wise? Is it better to try and work a while as an EMT-B? Or should I go ahead and take the EMT-I training?

Any input would be appreciated. Or any other advice for a newbie for that matter. ;-)

Thanks.

I didn't realize that Arkansas didn't stairstep.... my personal opinion (for what it is worth), is that you should start with the basic level and move up.... take it in pieces, however, that is not always the most financially feasible way to do it.

Get your EMT - if you are younger than 25 then you might find it hard to be covered under the services insurance but then again it might not be a problem at all.

Do not go directly into paramedic school after you get your emt. you need field experience to supplement your paramedic.

But if you do decide to to into paramedic directly after emt then by all means get a lot of ride time if you can.

There is a course here that takes the steps one at a time. A student is required to pass levels EMT-B and I while progressing to the medic level. It is a 2 yr, 2 nights a week program, thus allowing a student to gain experience, while working towards the medic level.

There is usually a age requirement of at least 21 for working on the ambo for insurance purposes. Some as high as 25 as our esteemed colleague mentioned.

Personally, i don't see a problem with going from 0 to hero, as you SHOULD learn the BLS skills in your Paramedic program as all calls begin the same way, with ABC's and assessment.

Just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

great advice Jake

Just make sure you learn the basics in EMT class. It's one thing to get it all done in one foul swoop and in one long continuous process but nothing takes the place of experience.

that is why I say to have a delay between emt to emt-p class as you get that field experience.

You will be a better provider for it.

Where I am, in NYC, you can have EMTs that are 18 years old join the fire department, last I checked. And you can certainly have 18 year old EMTs working private transports.... although not all the privates will let you drive. I would suggest you get some time out there assessing patients and learning the meds and diseases before going into medic school. But that's just a suggestion. Good luck. :P

I am a paramedic student now and in my class there is a wide range of expeirence levels. There is a couple who have been in the field 5 yrs., a handful that have been EMTs for 1-2 yrs., a few who have just gotten their basic cards and even a few yet who are taking their EMT praticals this weekend. You can definatley see the difference. For the most part the people who have been on the street are doing better. Its one thing to be told what a pt is going to present like and another to have seen it before. Expeirence is a great way to get ahead in the game. A good way to get expeirence is work for a transfer company that also does some emergency calls. that way you can get a lot of pt contact in a small amount of time. The transfers are great for working on basic skills like geting vitals assements and building pt rapport and having an actual emergency evryone in a while helps you to get expeirence in some of the procedures and giving radio reports. Take a year to get good at ur basics then make the jump.

As far as EMT-I's go i don't understand that and my girlfriend is an I. If you are going to go that far why not pay the extra money and go the whole nine yards and go to medic. There is only a handful of things you won't be taught and then you have to go through a lot of it again to get ur medic unless ur area offers a bringe from intermediate to paramedic. Hope this helped.

Patrick

EMT-B

Paramedic Student

The other question is how much experience you can get as a basic. If you live in an area where basics are only used for interfacility transports, your exposure to medical problems and trauma will be dramatically reduced. The same might be true if you plan on volunteering for a local rescue squad that only does a couple hundred runs a year.