Would you wear a helmet during transports?

pyroknight

Would you consider wearing a helmet in the back of your rig?  

49 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, voluntarily
    • Yes, if required
    • No, if voluntary
    • No, I would ignore regulation
    • I don't care / what's a helmet?

Yah that sure would instill confidence in the public...eeee!

Hello my name is squint and for your safety and protection

Brain Bucket's will be issued for all the riders in this truck.

A.G.T.H. ...... ain't going to happen!

It aint NASCAR

But if it becomes law....Can I have one with a flashing red light on it.....yah yah and a siren too.

Yah that sure would instill confidence in the public...eeee!

Hello my name is squint and for your safety and protection

Brain Bucket's will be issued for all the riders in this truck.

A.G.T.H. ...... ain't going to happen!

It aint NASCAR

But if it becomes law....Can I have one with a flashing red light on it.....yah yah and a siren too.

NASKAR!!!! YEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Its the state sport of Alabama!!!

Just like draftin and Drivin'

Not all helmets will keep you from utilizing a stethescope. Yes, it'd be fantastic to make the whole rig a lot safer. Will it look stylish? Probably not. I recall that foreign troops referred to us as ninja turtles because of all the armor we had to wear as well as bitching about having to wear kevlars in military vehicles on post. Is it uncomfortable and hot? For the most part. Boo hoo. Will it make things 100% safe? Not even close. It'll keep those minor brainpan dings from becoming major distractions.

Then again it'll be a miracle to get everyone that drives an automobile to buckle their seatbelts. Maybe we need to start there.

I'm with Kuo, as usual. Not only would I wear one, but I have been a proponent of helmet usage. Have a little imagination, folks. I have in the past researched what is available commercially that might fit this need. Indeed, there are plenty of readily available helmets that would work in this application while not restricting mobility or the ability to use a stethoscope. Bicycle and sk8er helmets do not block the ears, and do not have big rims (like fire helmets) that limit mobility in the cab. Same thing with climbing and rafting helmets.

Anybody who hasn't seen the need hasn't been in the field long enough. Come to Texas and I'll show you the scar across my head from crashing into the front bulkhead at 70 mph, which resulted in a skull fracture.

Whining about ambulance design is a cop out. YOU are primarily responsible for YOUR safety. If you know anything about safety, you know that the number one factor is the human factor. Environmental engineering is only part of the equation. The choices YOU make are the greatest contribution to your safety. Nobody else can do that for you. Nobody should have to.

As for compliance, I am unconcerned. Violations of safety regulations are ground for immediate termination. No second chances. No questions asked. If you knowingly, willingly, and intentionally jeopardize my assets, you are unemployed. There is your choice. Play by the rules or starve.

You don't get to pick and choose which policies you will and will not observe. Medic safety doesn't end at the scene. It amazes me how the same idiots who will refuse to make an assault scene without police on scene will disregard safety in the ambulance. I don't employ idiots. Either you make sound choices all the time, or you work somewhere else.

Ok back to reality folks, we can't get Medics to wear seat belts responding to calls.

Hells, bells, realistic legislation for Helmets for Motorcycles took > 25 years.....still some areas Do Not Have this legislation.

Let alone Helmets for children on pedal bikes......a bloody waste of public funds if one was to lobby, lets push brain buckets for kids on bikes first!

Sorry, I understand, but we can never be "totally" protected. I understand Helo's etc.. there is a difference in fatalities and injuries R/t those incidents.

Although. I believe in safety, I will not wear helmet. Sorry...Let's design the units to be more safer... WOW ! What a concept !

Be safe,

R/R 911

I'm with rid here

make me wonder if those that are putting forward the idea of wearing a helmet in the back would wear one while their wife or husband drove them to the supermaket in their family station wagon?

make bloody ambulances more safer with their design..........

stay safe

I'll have to admit I'm not as concerned about wearing a brainpan in the newer ambulances at EMS. They've got more padded railling and less sharp corners in the back. Still, a hard hit to a well padded interior is enough to jostle my concentration. A helmet has saved my noggin when I've been concentrating on someone in an M113 and just stood up after I got done with whatever I was working on and thunked into the roof. Older ambulances seem to have a lot more of those hard surfaces to thunk against. Enough blah blah. I don't care how safety gets improved, as long as there's improvement. I'm still sticking with my brainpan vote though.

Come on this is nuts...If i have to wear a helmet in the back of a ambulance then people should be wearing ones in their personal cars...There are more car accidents then bus accidents :roll:

Wrong. You are your own boss in your car (do New Yorkers even own cars?). You get to make the rules there. You are not your own boss at work. You follow the rules or you find another job.

And we're not talking about bus drivers. We're talking about paramedics. :roll:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.