How to acquire gainful employment in EMS

I know this sounds weird, but even if you do not get the job... send a thank-you card for allowing you to interview with their service. This leaves a professional appearance.. and a lasting memory, if you re-apply.

Good luck to all....

R/R 911

9)

My dad is a Worker Profiler for the ORegon Employment Job, His main job is to assist people who teh system deems will be hard to place in a job in teh field they just got laid off from. He has told me repeatedly that the thank you note is one of the most important things you can do for yourself in the process of finding a job.

There is a wonderful book called "What Color is Your Parachute ?" .. I highly recommend young people to read, on how to become more professional, write resume versus curriculum vitae (CV's), seek and get the job you want, etc..

It has been published several times and volumes now.. it is worth the investment of few bucks and repay itself many times.

Good luck,

R/R 911

PRPG... I agree with it all, but especially your #3. I worked a few years for the standard private "chuck" service before getting a job I truly loved. Any honest job pays honest money, and there's something to be said for paying your dues. Most EMTBs aren't going to roll out of school into that great 911 job with the great company or fire department. Sometimes you have to settle a little lower and make your name.

I wish I had a $1 for every EMT-Basic that said they were going to work only 911 when they became a paramedic.

There is a wonderful book called "What Color is Your Parachute ?" .. I highly recommend young people to read, on how to become more professional, write resume versus curriculum vitae (CV's), seek and get the job you want, etc..

It has been published several times and volumes now.. it is worth the investment of few bucks and repay itself many times.

Good luck,

R/R 911

Agreed. Also, find someone you respect in the industry. Learn from them, find a mentor. Those who are open to learning will suceed, those who are closed will always stagnate.

• 1 month later...

That is definitely a winning idea. I too used it once and ended up getting hired because of it. They actually called me the day they received the thank you and thanked me and said they wanted me after all. Turned out to be one of the best jobs I ever had too, and I would have hated to miss out on it.

You could also take this concept a step farther and send such a thank you note when you get fired someplace, or if you are just leaving under negative conditions. Burning bridges is a bad idea in this business and others. The idiots in charge now may not be in charge forever. And when they move on, you have a better chance of going back to that place someday if there is something positive like that in your personnel file for the new managers to see.

That is definitely a winning idea. I too used it once and ended up getting hired because of it. They actually called me the day they received the thank you and thanked me and said they wanted me after all. Turned out to be one of the best jobs I ever had too, and I would have hated to miss out on it.

You could also take this concept a step farther and send such a thank you note when you get fired someplace, or if you are just leaving under negative conditions. Burning bridges is a bad idea in this business and others. The idiots in charge now may not be in charge forever. And when they move on, you have a better chance of going back to that place someday if there is something positive like that in your personnel file for the new managers to see.

Interesting thought. Any other opinions on this?

Why not? It can't hurt.

If you're resigning from someplace, your letter of resignation should read like a thank you note anyway. "Thank you for the many opportunities afforded by being a team member...". If they're pissed that you're leaving it might help offset that feeling. If they're happy to see you go, at least you've come out as the better person by maintaining some level of civility.

If you're getting fired, a polite, well written thank you note can't hurt your standing any further. It probably won't change the outcome of the situation. But it may change the perception of you that the others involved may have. And like Dust said, those bosses won't be there forever. You never know when you might wind up back someplace. And a good final note in your file can make a difference.

-be safe.

When I left a hospital as a Nursing ER Director, there was a lot of bad blood between me and the medical director. Although, I resigned on my own will (Corporation wanted to discharge the M.D.), I felt that professionally that I had learned from the man & sent a thank-you card with a personal note of thanks, and continuation of good luck.

Ironically, he was later discharged and was placed into an EMS Medical Control position and now routinely calls me as a consultant.. like Dust described "Never burn your bridges" the road in EMS is short and circles, most folks know the faces along the way.

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.