my 10 page paper

brock8024

I am having to write a 10 page paper single spaced for my paramedic class. The topic I have picked is fluid resuscitation. I am thinking about using this as my thesis

There are many different fluids and quantities to chose from, however, are the right ones being picked for fluid resuscitation.

Does this seem OK or do I need to change it up a little. My paper is going to go over the different types of fluids to be used and the doses. I am also going to hit on areas like different types of shock, burns, pediatric and elderly patients. I think I will also hit on different electrolyte imbalances that might be occurring in a pt and what fluids might be best to use.

how does this sound. Please do not think I am asking for someone to do this I just want to see if there might be any other topics I am missing that I could add or any areas that anyone feels are important.

Thanks

Brock

• Like 1

Hey Brock.. Check into fluid resuscitation measures by Dr. Bickle at St. Francis (Tulsa) wrote one about '95 published in the New England Journal, on how it is a myth of how fluids work. Interesting piece check in the library & lit research.

I believe he is still works there, you might contact him.. and I am sure he can give you additional work as well. Dr. Sacra, I believe might have been involved as well.

You might want to explore hot saline (>9%) , polyhemme versus O- PRBC's etc...

good topic, but you can really go into it deep.... so be cautious and narrow it down or focus..

Be safe,

R/R 911

hey thanks for that info. I am trying to narrow it down to what is important to paramedics. I am going to go into alot of trauma pt's and the amount they get. I figured pediatric stuff and elderly things would be good stuff to get into.

thanks

brock

Try to develop your thesis into a statement that you will prove in the body of the paper rather than posing it as a question. Good topic, though.

I agree.

And sometimes it helps me to gather enough information to make an outline, or a resemblance of some organization and then do a thesis. I tend to work backwards sometimes :)

thanks guys for the info. I was trying to think of a good thesis. It is H.Conner who is teaching this semister. I have asked if I could do some clinicals there with u but he said he was not for sure. I am sure I could if I asked enough. LOL So I need to think more of a statement than a question. I think I can handle that.

thanks

brock

Awww. Uncle Harvey.... I suggest, that you might explore and write both sides of the subject (pro & con), then come up with a hypothesis and conclude your opinion on your findings. I suggest a heavy pathophysiology (he loves that) but I forewarn you to be sure you understand it as well... such as Fick principle, Rouleaux effect in shock syndromes.. as you probably know he loves shock syndromes.

Remember to follow APA format as much as possible and be sure to cite references appropriately.

Good luck, I am sure you will do well... this is the difference between paramedic programs and paramedic classes.

Be safe,

R/R 911

hey thanks Rid. I will have to come up with a new thesis. what is a APA form. I have never heard of it. Yes I know he loves shock which is cool. I will try to come up with a new thesis today. Ten pages I think will be easy on this subject. It is just narrowing it down. thanks

brock

hey thanks Rid. I will have to come up with a new thesis. what is a APA form. I have never heard of it. Yes I know he loves shock which is cool. I will try to come up with a new thesis today. Ten pages I think will be easy on this subject. It is just narrowing it down. thanks

brock

Do you have access to online medical journals through whatever school you're at right now? If so, definitely take advantage of that. I've found them to be an incredible resource for writing papers. A quick NEJM search revealed the following and many more... like rid said, be sure to site your sources.

1-20 (of 155 results)

Immediate versus Delayed Fluid Resuscitation for Hypotensive Patients with Penetrating Torso Injuries

Bickell W. H., Wall M. J., Pepe P. E., Martin R. R., Ginger V. F., Allen M. K., Mattox K. L.

Abstract | Full Text

N Engl J Med 1994; 331:1105-1109, Oct 27, 1994. Original Articles

A Comparison of Albumin and Saline for Fluid Resuscitation in the Intensive Care Unit

The SAFE Study Investigators

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

N Engl J Med 2004; 350:2247-2256, May 27, 2004. Original Articles

Comparison of Three Fluid Solutions for Resuscitation in Dengue Shock Syndrome

Wills B. A., Dung N. M., Loan H. T., Tam D. T.H., Thuy T. T.N., Minh L. T.T., Diet T. V., Hao N. T., Chau N. V., Stepniewska K., White N. J., Farrar J. J.

Abstract | FREE Full Text | PDF

N Engl J Med 2005; 353:877-889, Sep 1, 2005. Original Articles