Big Bucks for Basics

FireResq617

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few things...

1.) Rare to find Kelly shifts here, most operate 3 12's per week, in variating patterns and rotations, some being 7 days on, 7 days off, to Th, F, Sa, Mo, Tu, W....whatever.

2.) Someone please define "testalogical"

3.) I now see the 10 shifts reference. The standard being 3/12 hr, leaves us with 14/month average

-P

That's testacological to you PRPG... and I'm not sure it's a word.. but I think it should be? I like it... although, I'm not sure what it means.. LOL

Hello all... and thanks for the valuable feedback! I have been off the board lately had to have emergency surgery. Finally back in the saddle again and released back to full duty...yeah!!!

I wanted to let everyone know that the administration agreed on $10/hr to start with an increase after 90 days this includes full major medical plan and 401K. Everyone's feedback was very valuable in negotiations. Gave me a starting point and a high and low...although I had to take into consideration our demographic location and cost of living.

I know alot of you are probably wondering what exactly we do... for clarification only... we are Industrial FF/EMS for a large industrial park. Most of our job consist of mitigating safety hazards and reducing loss work time by caring for injuries and illnesses in-house, OSHA compliance, technical rescue, hazmat, and so on.... We do NOT transport!!!

Thanks Everyone who replied....

I would post what JakeEMT told me it meant, but I don't think it's suitable for all audiences.... LOL... Thanks for the 'word of the day' Dust... I LOVED it!

• 4 weeks later...

The pay around here runs approximately 7 dollars an hour for basics and in the 9-11 range for medics. Depending on the service, depends on what you make. The services which pay higher for basics (ie $9 or so) only let them work around 40 hours a week, some not even that much, only 36. You only have to work 32 to be considered full time in KY. However, most of the better paying places involve clinic work or as a tech somewhere. Few make that on the street. Industrial EMT's tend to do much better with their pay around the 9-10 range for basic, but then again, it is more of a clinical setting than true EMS. In my area, you are extremely fortunate to land a job with a 24/48 service which has benefits. Those jobs are in incredibly high demand for medics and very competitive for EMT's as there is little turnover with those places. There is frequent turnover in general with basics (we don't honor intermediates here) as the services which tend to hire basics are low paying and very poor or no benefits. The good services with hazardous duty retirement tend to be in the large run volume areas and are very difficult to get on with. Most of the time if they do hire basics it is with the requirement they are either currently in medic school, or willing to go within a year. However, almost all that I know of will pay for the class though provided you give them a year or two of service time (or pay out the remainder of your contract-which I have known some fire departments to do). Jobs with fire departments are a precious commodity. Very few and far between, especially for basics as we have excellent benefits for fire in my state. Also there is an abundance of basics in the state, but a serious lacking of medics, especially in the poorer counties. I work full time off the street in a clinic and part time on the street. I am content with what I make, but also remember, though our pay seems incredibly low, one must factor the cost of living here (short of big cities such as Louisville, Lexington, Florence, etc) is very cheap. I rent a small house which is relatively new, nice large yard, right outside of town for about $400 a month. All utilities paid. Not a bad deal at all. Anyone want to come here?

The pay around here runs approximately 7 dollars an hour for basics and in the 9-11 range for medics. Depending on the service, depends on what you make. The services which pay higher for basics (ie $9 or so) only let them work around 40 hours a week, some not even that much, only 36. You only have to work 32 to be considered full time in KY. However, most of the better paying places involve clinic work or as a tech somewhere. Few make that on the street. Industrial EMT's tend to do much better with their pay around the 9-10 range for basic, but then again, it is more of a clinical setting than true EMS. In my area, you are extremely fortunate to land a job with a 24/48 service which has benefits. Those jobs are in incredibly high demand for medics and very competitive for EMT's as there is little turnover with those places. There is frequent turnover in general with basics (we don't honor intermediates here) as the services which tend to hire basics are low paying and very poor or no benefits. The good services with hazardous duty retirement tend to be in the large run volume areas and are very difficult to get on with. Most of the time if they do hire basics it is with the requirement they are either currently in medic school, or willing to go within a year. However, almost all that I know of will pay for the class though provided you give them a year or two of service time (or pay out the remainder of your contract-which I have known some fire departments to do). Jobs with fire departments are a precious commodity. Very few and far between, especially for basics as we have excellent benefits for fire in my state. Also there is an abundance of basics in the state, but a serious lacking of medics, especially in the poorer counties. I work full time off the street in a clinic and part time on the street. I am content with what I make, but also remember, though our pay seems incredibly low, one must factor the cost of living here (short of big cities such as Louisville, Lexington, Florence, etc) is very cheap. I rent a small house which is relatively new, nice large yard, right outside of town for about $400 a month. All utilities paid. Not a bad deal at all. Anyone want to come here?

Might be a good challenge I take the national registry next week i do not anticipate a problem with passing it.

• 5 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.