A question about blood pressure

vcfd35s

Hey guys,

I have a bit of a concern.

I am a ninteen year old college student who lives a rather busy lifestyle....not too mention all the EMT studying and school work and an outside job. However, I became a little worried when I took a free blood test at the local drug store. My reading was 158/111 with a pulse rate of 81. My BP has never been this high before and I am not one to eat a lot healthy foods. I excercise regulary and have always been rather heathly. So this reading is getting me a little worried. So, from the experts, is there anything that I should look out for and be worried about. Any ideas or tips would be great. Thanks alot guys.

Jonathan

First, get a couple of readings and keep a log. Should be about the same time of day.. same arm etc... if it continues. you should go to your physician and have it evaluated.

You might need to reduce stress, weight ?., lower your sodium, or be placed on med.'s .. Don't ignore it, take action and control it.

Good luck,

R/R 911

Does high blood pressure run in your family, Jonathan? I know that you're never too young to have this problem. You'd be surprised. Young and old...almost my whole family is on medication. And most of us are in great shape. Like Rid said...regardless of how or why, at this point, you just need to be evaluated and get it under control. If it's determined that you need to take medication, most likely it will be a low dose to maintain a normal reading. And, finding the right medication takes some time and patience as they all have different and sometimes unpleasant side effects. However, it's important that you stick with this and find out not only why you are having this problem, but if it is chronic, and therefore, needs to be controlled.

Please don't ignore it. Even if you don't necessarily feel "bad", it is still doing damage to your vessels. It may be something as simple as less sodium in your diet, weight control, exercise...etc...Rid mentioned all this already, I believe.

Get it checked...and Take care...

:wink: 8

I would also suggest haveing it checked again, manually by some one trained. Having worked in grocery sstores in the past with those machines, I know thw abuse they can take. You never know if the machine might be off. They get moved for cleaning, banged by power jackes moving items through the store etc. I would have you BP checked again before you get too freaked.

Thanxs alot guys for your responses...

I went to the health center today and had my BP checked by a doctor and my BP was 120/73 and then 122/83....so I am definately in the normal range. I guess we can rule out drug store BP test... :lol:

Thanxs again guys

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.