Inappropriate behaviour in a paramedic course...

MedicDude

It is amazing that people cannot control their basic urges and needs. EMS has a horrible reputation as it is. This is one of the many reasons we are still considered non-professional. Ironically, I have been intimate with fellow co-workers, even was married to a fellow flight nurse, and no-one even realized it..(she kept her maiden name) until after she had quit, and we informed the crews. It was no one business, we kept business at business, and personal at home, it is called being professional.

The same with instructors with students or even being a preceptor. Please wait, until after school or program is over or out that clinical area. Too many people get labeled as "groupies", followers etc.. I have seen and been offered more advances to pass, both school, license even Registry tests. This disg usts me even more.. especially of those that actually take the profession serious. It is a slap to their dignity and character. I have no use for "flirts" or "secret sessions' etc... want to do that .. go home! We are getting paid for a job.. not a lonely hearts club.

Far as weeding out, unfortunately we are stuck with the employees that continue to have the behavior and weed out good potential EMS because of special considerations for those that patronize. I have no use for people that use people one way or another to gain anything...

Be safe,

R/R 911

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is absolutely inappropriate for any instructor, be in college, high school, church sunday school, ems, nursing to be in a relationship with a student.

There is absolutely no excuse for it. The ethics and moral's of this are self explanatory.

I would not tolerate it if it was my school

Supervisors and managers should also not be involved with employees.

Many universities allow students to have relationships with their professors/instructors. The only time it becomes a problem as far as most institutions are concerned is when it interferes with the fairness of grading the particular student or their classmates. I personally dislike the idea of a fellow student "sleeping" with a professor simply because the possibility of favoritism is possible; however, I also see where it would be detrimental to the goal of a collegiate atmosphere. Colleges,especially large universities, stress an academic and friendly relationship between the student and their professors. Many professors hold available office hours for this very reason. The free exchange of ideas is the entire goal of these institutions ,and while very few paramedic programs are found in 4 year colleges or universities (~14 or so), I think a certain amount of these policies should be maintained. The problem with most of the people who are in EMS is that they can't keep their mouth shut about something. The real ethical issue is had when the student has an affair with an instructor in order to gain an upper-hand.

Many universities allow students to have relationships with their professors/instructors. The real ethical issue is had when the student has an affair with an instructor in order to gain an upper-hand.
Excellent point UMSTUDENT! :thumbleft:

It specifically states in our handbook, and it was told to us on the first night of class, that students and instructors can't meet outside of class. It's fine for us students to get together, do whatever, but instructors can't join us. If we see them in Walmart, it's ok to say hello, but when we go out to eat on lunch break, the instructors can't go with us.

I think that's an overly strict rule, but it's probably in place to prevent things like student-teacher relationships that can go very bad. I feel funny typing that since I am the only female in my class and all our instructors are male...but ew! Heebie Jeebies just thinking about it lol. They're my instructors and are there to teach me what I need to know to be a paramedic.

I'm of two minds on this subject. One the one hand, as someone said before, the preceptor/student relationship makes for easy pickings and can rapidly get out of hand. On the other hand, the true red blooded American in me says that if lonely instructor A and lonely instructor B meet, and hit it off, and start dating and live happily ever after, and it doesn't interfere with their professional relationship, then F--- the commie pinko bastards who say they can't see each other. This isn't China! Love who you want, I feel no workplace has the right to dictate what I can and cannot do in my free time.

Rid, I think your actions on the unwelcome advances issue was swift, decisive, and entirely appropriate. I'm glad to know there are at least some supervisors out there who are willing to put their foot down. However, I think the problem many times is many times with the student's behavior. If you have little miss big boobs batting her eyelashes at the preceptors for a better grade, how do you deal with her? That can be a MUCH more difficult situation

I am completely fair and objective. I give hott chicks better evaluations whether they sleep with me or not, so why should it matter if they sleep with me?

SPELL CHECKED: No errors found. 8)

meh, If they pass and can't do the job, they will be weeded out naturally.

Thats the exact type of bogus opinion that keeps cranking the idiot students out of the courses and into the trucks. Quality control people!!!! Why should a crappy student be allowed to pass because they are sleeping with their instructor and then be left to the system to take care out of. In the process of them being "weeded out" would you want them working on your mother/grandmother/other relative.

Not saying that you are a bad medic just because you slept with your instructor, but how can you be sure? The system is already broken and your lucky if you get a few good students out of a course of 20-25. Why make it even worse/questionable by allowing crap like this.

Thats the exact type of bogus opinion that keeps cranking the idiot students out of the courses and into the trucks. Quality control people!!!! Why should a crappy student be allowed to pass because they are sleeping with their instructor and then be left to the system to take care out of. In the process of them being "weeded out" would you want them working on your mother/grandmother/other relative.

Sorry, I should have used the " tongue firmly planted in cheek " disclaimer. Look, I would hope the instructor would be professional enough to realize the said student isn't cut out for this work. Just because he/she is getting a little, doesn't mean they're going to pass the student based on sexual prowess. After all, it may be a relative of theirs that require medical attention from the student in question. Give your fellow man/woman a little credit.

Spell checked, no corrections required 8)