Inappropriate behaviour in a paramedic course...

MedicDude

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL @ Nate...

I have to agree with PRPG... Educators should be acting in a professional capacity and should refrain from any conduct that could be considered "questionable", thus my decision to "suspend" the Instructor from assisting, vs. taking action on the student. Since this situation, my students do sign a statement of understanding at the beginning of class based on the Policy Manual. One of the points covered is "Fratranizing (sp?) is not allowed".

Oh, and just for the record it WAS affecting the class.... She only wanted to work skills with his "team", everyone knew but me, and on breaks things got ummm steamy on more than one occasion (without my knowledge at the time).

Just makes good sense to me to douse the flames during the class.. there's a lifetime to stoke them back up when class is out.

Hey MedicDude... by chance does the name of your college have the initials C.C.???

Hehe no, but I know what college you're talking about. The one I go to is somewhat nearby though...

Meh... if Bill Clinton can do it (and get re-elected), I find it pretty hard to justify firing anybody for flirting.

Yes, it can be a major disruption to the educational process and the professional environment. But it's also prevalent human nature, and is in most cases NOT disruptive or harmful. So, if you are consistent in your application of policies, you will be firing medics and booting students who are in healthy and consensual relationships, and even people who are doing nothing more than flirting. And I submit that is more damaging to the educational process and professional environment than is letting it stand.

I agree that we shouldn't be telling people who they can and can't be involved with, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Students and their educators have certain obligations: the student, to learn and do the work that is assigned; the educator, to supervise, teach, and be as fair as possible. Sure, if a preceptor and student want to get it on after the course is done, then go for it. But during the course, it just causes problems with perceived fairness and jealousy. Talking about human nature... Jealousy is pretty prevalent too, and I hate to think what might happen if either the preceptor or student got "dumped". It could only end badly.

So yeah, dating people you like is great, but not when they're in a position of trust! Though I'm sure it happens all the time unfortunately... I'm not in favour of firing people willy nilly, but people should be warned about this kind of thing...

I would have to agree. Instructors are held to higher standards and expectations. They should set themself apart from actions like this. They should set the example to be followed and if they cannot control their professional self and set the good example then they are not an effective ( i didn't say popular) instructor. And while A and P is necessary course in emergency medicine playing Doctor is not. Save it for after the course is over and there is no student teacher relationship to worry about. Then more power to them.

My point exactly... 8)

meh, If they pass and can't do the job, they will be weeded out naturally. Everybody is so hung up on the fact a man and woman are having a relationship. Yet, no one has said anything about a instructors offspring taking the medic class they are teaching. Chances are, they're going to pass to. :wink:

Spell Checked, no errors to report. 8)

If they pass and can't do the job, they will be weeded out naturally.
I like it. The only problem is who might they kill first. That's not the kind of weeding out we need to be seeing. And as for offspring of instructors, chances are they've been around it for soooo long they already have pretty good grasp of information....