Fair Contract for NYC

John

More than 600 Emergency Medical Service members gathered in City Hall Park Jan. 5 to vent 42 months’ worth of anger and frustration at Mayor Bloomberg and his administration over their lack of a contract, while union leaders moved to get a bargaining impasse declared.

The courageous members of the Uniformed EMTs and Paramedics Local 2507 have done city workers proud. After everything that New York City EMTs and Paramedics have gone through in the past couple of years why now do they have to fight for their right to a fair contract with the city they service?

070206.mp3

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After everything that New York City EMTs and Paramedics have gone through in the past couple of years why now do they have to fight for their right to a fair contract with the city they service?

Because there are half a million other EMT's and medics who are just itching to step in and take their place for the same or less money, that's why. The workforce is cheapened by all the wanker vollies who give it away.

Because there are half a million other EMT's and medics who are just itching to step in and take their place for the same or less money, that's why. The workforce is cheapened by all the wanker vollies who give it away.
Interesting you should say that Dust. We had this conversation in class last night. I took up your position, with the backing of a few fellow students. The rest of the class was of the belief that they are only in it to help their community. I can respect that in the most rural of areas perhaps, but not here. I said that the only reason we have so many volly services is because we allow it to be that way. If everyone would say " No, were not going to do it for free anymore" than they would find the money. I mean, am I expected to devote 2 years and a small fortune to becoming a medic, only to give my services and education away? I think not. Not to mention the amount of Liability and the amount of responsibility I'm supposed to take on. Meh, show me the money!

spell checked, 2 errors corrected :x

I would venture a guess that less than ten percent of all persons who enter EMS actually are motivated by altruism.

I would also venture a guess that more than ninety percent of all persons who enter EMS say they are motivated by altruism.

That's a lot of liars in EMS! :lol:

The simple fact is that if it weren't for the uniforms and sirens, half of the people in EMS would never have given it a thought. EMT schools nationwide would go bankrupt and close their doors. And consequently, the demand would handily exceed the supply, and wages would go up. Ain't capitalism great?

SPELL CHECKED: No errors found. 8)

Dust, I have to cal BS. I am a volunteer (not a wanker, WTF) and did not do it for the uniforms or lights and sirens. Yeah, my cool navy blue jumpsuit!! Great uniform! Sirens get on my nerves, I guess my ears are sensitive from not listen to orders when they told us to wear hearing protection on the firing line!

I did do it to give back to the community because if not me, who? Same reason I volunteered for the National Guard, then volunteered for Active status. I can not think of one person I run with who is in it for the reasons you say! We have second and third generation folks doing this. So are paid to do it in other areas and volunteer during their "time off." Yeah, that's just for the uniforms and sirens!

I think the stats are opposite, 10% do it for the lights and sirens, 90% do it for altruistic reasons!

This along with other topics are so touchy and hard to discuss on this particular website. It seems that the minute that someone says something about volunteers being bad for EMS, there is always someone bashing them for their thoughts. It seems like every single time someone says lets eliminate or run paramedic only trucks, there is someone there to bash that person. These very same people are usually unaware of how their remarks and actions effect those that happen to be paid paramedics. It is to the point where I don't normally bother with these type of discussions because of the number of people who seem be unable to see the other sides point of view.

It is pretty amazing how the volunteer issue is a sore one. (I'm a volunteer by the way.)

More important, it's impossible to make broad statements about either group, however.

As for the NYC situation, every job in every area has 500 people ready to do the same work for the same pay, and that goes for EMTs, journalists, and deli workers. Heck, look at the police deal now. Recruits pull in a whopping $25,000. Is that because of the "wanker vollies?" I don't think so. It's the deal that was made between the people above.

Conversely, volunteers do provide a valuable EMS force for many communities around the US. And, to the point of paid versus volunteer, just try to float the tax increase to cover the EMS force. Communities would flip out. They'd have to bite the bullet and do so - and many are as the volunteer forces dwindle - but it won't be easy.

My point here, of course, is that in any discussion its just impossible to make broad statements about either side. If you're not happy with the pay you get in your job, change jobs or careers, but don't blame another group like volunteers. They existed before you took the gig, no?

Volunteers vs Paid....wow! I guess that would be a great panel for the show.

But lets now get away from the fact that these guys have been through hell, their peers are sick, or have died providing care for this city. Now that they asked to be paid a fair rate, just like the other professionals in the city, they hit a brick wall.

Thanks Mr. Mayor!

Dust, I have to cal BS. I am a volunteer (not a wanker, WTF) and did not do it for the uniforms or lights and sirens.

SSG, I was talking about those who enter the profession, not volunteers. You're not in the business. You're in the hobby. Your motivation may well differ from those who choose this for a living.

SPELL CHECKED: No errors found. 8)

First we have to clarify a few things. When someone uses the term "vollie" to refer to an ambulance service in NYC, they mean a "voluntary hospital", as in a hospital that contracts with the FDNY EMS command to provide EMS in and around their hospital. There are a few true "volunteer" squads in NYC, but they do not provided a substantial augmentation to the paid services. The vollie hospitals do a lot to take away Local 2507's bargaining power, as the city could just pretty much dissolve us and give us over to the vollies completely.

In terms of volunteers, I have always been staunchly against volunteer EMS. Volunteer services are good for a fire department, where a structure fire needs a large amount of manpower, but EMS I have always believed should be an extension of the hospital. You don't go into an ER and have 20 volunteer RN's jump on you, and I don't think the same should be true in the field setting. I think there is a role for volunteer EMS in rural settings, and in places like retirement communities, but if a town has a paid police force and a paid fire department, paid EMS should also be a priority.

I break volunteer EMS down like this: 10% dedicated, noble people, 25% lights and sirens weirdos, 35% people with serious emotional and/or mental disorders, and 30% bored housewives.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.