When a C-Collar doesn't fit?

Para-Medic

What are your devices to use when a C-collar doesn't work. Living in Houston it's amazing how many people just have huge necks (of course when you are considered the most overweight city in the US it's not much of a surprise). I have seen some people role up towels and use them kind of like blocks. The problem is some partners of mine just get stressed and pretty much say f*** it and use tape to hope their head and head blocks. I wouldn't like for them to do this if there was a serious injury (which we never know when it could be) so I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions. Hope to hear from you all. THANKS : )

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the most problems is EMT's do not place or measure the appropriate size cervical collar. No-Neck, is sometimes a good choice for those "bull-neck" type. PHTLS also has some recommendations on using blankets etc. for cervical immobilization.

Be safe,

R/R 911

When a C-Collar will not fit, you must improvise. Any good instructor will tell you that... and leave you at that. You can't plan for it, because every situation will be different. If the situation is bariatric, don't put something on that is tight, it may restrict breathing.

We carried soft foam collars for years before modern collars ever came out. They can be cut down in needed, but chances are it will be too small, around, anyway. This is why it is important for any medical personnel to have an open mind, and the ability to be inventive.

I decided that they will never make a pediatric collar that will fit perfectly. If it's too big for the kid, get it off, you'll cause more damage leaving it on. If it's too small, it will not do the job of the collar. It isn't in place to immobilize the neck or the spine, it is there to less the chance of compression, flexion and extension of the spine. Important to remember. I could go on all day about the mistakes rookies and seasoned professionals make when it comes to 'splinting the spine'. Rather the misunderstanding of it.

Always remember. The towel is your best friend. Use as many as necessary, and stabilize it with a CID.

The worst piece of equipment that I ever had was the sand bag. I used Two wooden blocks, wrapped with bed linen. I should have got a patent for it. Damn. :wink:

I find that the adjustable collars run a little smaller than the old "pick your size" collars. We carry both. A large person with a no-neck size... won't even try the adjustable, just get me the regular no-neck. When that don't work... like others have said, be creative. If it works, it works. Also, don't be afraid to re-adjust. if you get it on wrong the first time, go ahead and get it right. Just make sure someone still is holding it manually. :wink:

• 3 months later...

First of all, there are several sizes of c-collars available. My service carries six different sizes. If one doesn't fit, go for the next biggest or next smallest. However, if you measure properly, you shouldn't have to worry about changing sizes. If your service doesn't provide the luxury of choosing from several different sizes, then a rolled-up towel placed around the patient's neck, foam blocks, and 2" tape should work just fine. Do what you have to do to make sure the patient's neck doesn't move. Period.

Stay Safe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.