Veterinarians smarter than MD's?

cosgrojo

You would think that with the proliferation of hospital-borne illnesses (MRSA, C-Diff, VRE and the like) that hospitals would start taking the cause of the problem seriously. They tend to take the control of it seriously through decontamination and isolation precautions, but they are continuing to practice the same procedures that have caused the outbreaks. We bring in an elderly pt from a SNF to the ED for the suspected UTI/Sepsis. They take labs, do cultures, urine-dip, the whole nine. Everything comes back negative. What do they do? They prescribe an already immunodeficient pt a "preventative course" of anti-biotic, and send them back to a nursing home (cesspool of resistant nasties). They've just guaranteed that this person will acquire and eventually spread the malady further.

Meanwhile, I brought my puppy to the vet because she has had some blood in her stool. Vet prescribed some anti-biotic like serum (Albon) that the dog eats to rid her of the nasty coccidia that has infested her gastric system. Then he also gives us something else to give her as soon as the course of Albon was completed. A gel form of Acidophilous. I begin to act as if a miracle has happened! Veterinarians are beginning to incorporate nautral/holistic medicines onto their plan of care? Where is the mainstream medical community on this.

As we all know, anti-biotics kill indiscriminately, good and bad bacteria. When the bad bacteria outnumbers the good bacteria, there usually is a laundry list of issues that can arise. Why is it that Vets understand this more than MD's. I've never seen a hospital send information back with the pt about positive intestinal flora replenishment.

Just a thought. What do you think?

I think or know MRSA is resistant to most even antibotics except Vancomycin. That you got pay the vet a whole bunch of money for some natural Lactobacillus acidophilus. It is primary used in humans for yeast infection & vaginitis, and has unclear to poor treatment in humans, except in G.I. tract to replace the flora.

I am sure that the extent research of MRSA & VRSA has been explored to the extent. If prescribing something simple like acidophilus would correct things, they would. I am definitely not against homeopathic or herbal medicine they definitely have their place in medicine, and should be used as a supplement.

Yes, I am glad all medicine is looking for and toward all different type of medical practices.

Be safe,

R/R 911

Actually, Culturelle is a preparation of Lactobacillus Acidophilous which is prescribed with great frequency by physicians, and is growing in popularity especially among hospitalized patients. Even more frequently, physicians (particularly FPs) advise patients on antibiotics to eat yogurt daily, which has L. Acidophilous in it (if it says "live active cultures" on the side).

And elderly, debilitated patients get sepsis from UTI with alarming frequency and often don't mount a white count or grow out their cultures.

'zilla

Yes, I have seen many docs say to eat yogurt daily when taking antibiotics. Acidophilous taken in pill form bought over the counter can save many girls from getting yeast infections and can also make your tummy feel a lot better.

As far as veterinarians being smarter than MD's - Well, I'm not touching that one, but it has seemed to me that many, many more veterinarians are more cautious about microbial resistance and also more open-minded about holistic therapies used as a compliment, not a replacement to traditional medicine. In fact, in any given vet class in the country, you will find a handful of those hoping to pursue homeopathic medicine.

I know and have worked with an RN that is also a DVM. She works as a RN, because she claims she has better hours and makes more money as a charge nurse.

I find it quite humorous when a physician wants to "give us poor little nurses an education".. most are not aware that she is a DVM. After their little speech she will either ask a scientific questions or go more in detail, than most either know or surprised by.... I describe to the Doc.. well they teach us more these days.... :lol:

Be safe,

R/R 911

most doctors are smart.......... most. i know plenty of nurses who can do a doctors job better than they can. also. there is only one kind of human. but there are hundreds of species of dogs, horses, cats, etc..... to be able to provide precise medicale care for such an array takes tremendous knowledge and skill. but it is tough to beat a well trained MD.

Back in 47... I'm old remember.. The horse I was riding on stepped in a gopher hole and fell. It had a broken leg, and I had a six inch, give or take an inch, jagged laceration on my right leg. It was washed, with alcohol, yes.. I cried. Bandaged, and my brother carried me to the house to wait for someone to call the doctor. He didn't answer the phone. Blood was starting to run out of the bandage, so we had them blow the fire whistle, Doc was a fireman, he never missed a run. But he didn't come for that.. They had to shoot the horse, and the vet asked if I was next? I didn't find any humor in the matter. My brother wanted to load me in the hearse and start for a hospital. My father decided to do something different. They gave me a shot of something, I don't remember what, and I probably don't want to know, and the vet sutured my leg. 6". I hardly had a scar, he actually did a pretty good job. Thing was, I've had sutures dozens of times, at home and in the army. And that vet was the only one that ever gave something for the pain. The army gave advice "take it like a man". :lol:

If admission requirements to school are any indication of intelligence than yes, vets are much smarter than people docs. It is much more difficult to get into veterinary school than med school, thus those who are admitted an do succeed are the best of the best. :munky2: :dog: :duckie: :lol: :bunny: :cat: :grommit: :kermit: :snorting: BTW dogs are a single species, perhaps you ment different breeds? :wink: Or the canine family?

If admission requirements to school are any indication of intelligence than yes, vets are much smarter than people docs. It is much more difficult to get into veterinary school than med school, thus those who are admitted an do succeed are the best of the best. :munky2: :dog: :duckie: :lol: :bunny: :cat: :grommit: :kermit: :snorting: BTW dogs are a single species, perhaps you ment different breeds? :wink: Or the canine family?

The main reason getting into vet school is harder than med school is simply because there are only 26 vet schools in the country with over a hundred medical schools. Med schools typically have the same pre-reqs & average GPA as the vet schools.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.