Responses to the annoying bystander

Asysin2leads

Anytime I respond to a call downtown on the weekend nights to pick up an unconscious/unresponsive male/female with ETOH on board... guaranteed to have at least 3-4 members of the opposite sex fawning over them telling them "I love you", "You'll be OK", "Don't die", etc. Usually have to physically pick them up and relocate them so we can do any type of assessment.

Don't we all wish! The things that go through your head on-scene with the know-it-all bystanders would be enough to get us all canned if we voiced them. Have actually gone to the point of telling person to "Get the Hell out of here!", but have managed to refrain from voicing other opinions.

The police, or even the occasional firefighter, are very good at removing interfering peepenlookers. I find the worst are the sports trainers, who have a basic first aid course, and a "trainers" certificate that makes them into instant experts. Never mind the fact that they dragged the poor kid off the field or the ice so the game could continue before calling us.

Remember that stupidity is our biggest annoyance - it also keeps us working!

I once got called to a high school football game, and the sports trainer told me that he thought it was a possible C-8 fx. I asked him if x-ray confirmed his diagnosis.

• 4 weeks later...

I did respond once to an annoying bystander (who was insisting on an ambulance to transport her friend with a minor laceration as there was, in progress, a shooting down the street) with the following:

"Well, gee whiz, ma'am, we got the fire truck and hoses here, ya want us to wash your car for you too?"

That shut her up. And got me some props with the fire crew.

'zilla

those where good how ever this one I would of liked to have seen.......(about a firefighter) the pump operator was doing his job at a fire when a drunk came and leaned on the hydrant. While leaning on the hydrant the drunk was slowly turning off the water being supplyed to the pumper. The operator asked many time for the drunk to keep moving and to stop leaning on the hydrant. Finally the operator got mad and layed the drunk out. When questioned about it by a peace office, who had seen the guy go down, the operator replied, " I don't know, he must of slipped or something."

I had an athletic trainer one time say to me at a football game: "I'd say he's got a second degree concussion with bruising." I responded without thinking: "Wow, I usually have to take them to the ER to learn that." Lots of paperwork.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.