Pet Peeve sayings

Ridryder 911

There are a few that irk me. Namely:

P.S. the following are all based on former partners (of ALL levels)

1.) People that don't listen. ( Whether to what the pt is saying or to thier partner who is running the call.) #-o

2.) People that can't be taught. AKA, Never been wrong a day in their life. ](*,)

3.) People that refuse to listen to the voice of experience. (Textbooks are good but......) [-(

4.) Dispatchers that NEED to know everything that you are doing and why. ( You do your job and I'll do mine.) :twisted:

5.) Inexperienced partners voicing their inexperience in front of patients in an outside voice. (Talk to me AFTER the call or pull me aside)

IF the shoe fits......but you don't like the shoe.......try a different style. :wink:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pet peeves here:

1. People who discuss (often at length) procedures, equipment, conditions, and situations that they can't even spell yet.

2. People who degrade others simply because of the position they hold in the system. There is need and room for ALL levels in the EMS system from First Aider to Paramedic (Divine), as long as each is aware of his/her scope. It is counterproductive and elitist to base your opinion of someone on what they can't do in a situation. Use them for what they can.

4. Wannabes who have flunked the test multiple times and are looking for the easy way to pass it - the solution is simple -STUDY the stuff so you know it, or get another career.

Thanks for the soapbox, Rid

Those three I've seen and I'm only a student :shock:

My pet peeve is the know-it-all.

We have a know-it-all in our basic class. He knows everything, has done everything, and has seen everything.

At times, I want to punch him in the nose. I don't know how the medics maintain their composure when he starts puking his BS all over them. You can see "STFU" written all over their face and in the bulging veins in their temples.

Every time they start to go over something, he has to interject with an "Oh yeah! That's how we did it when this one time...", Or, he'll nod his head as if he approves of what the instructors are teaching and they way they're teaching it.

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he speaks like one who's gotten just enough experience to think he knows it all, but doesn't know much at all. And with being 18 and the first time he's taken an EMT class...hmmm...

Those three I've seen and I'm only a student :shock:

My pet peeve is the know-it-all.

We have a know-it-all in our basic class. He knows everything, has done everything, and has seen everything.

At times, I want to punch him in the nose. I don't know how the medics maintain their composure when he starts puking his BS all over them. You can see "STFU" written all over their face and in the bulging veins in their temples.

Every time they start to go over something, he has to interject with an "Oh yeah! That's how we did it when this one time...", Or, he'll nod his head as if he approves of what the instructors are teaching and they way they're teaching it.

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he speaks like one who's gotten just enough experience to think he knows it all, but doesn't know much at all. And with being 18 and the first time he's taken an EMT class...hmmm...

Had a partner recently that was the exact same way. He went to class and told them that he told me how to effectively treat my resp patient - how to do my job, when in reality I had to "direct" him how to do his. A few of his classmates (who I happen to work with, as well) came up to me and told me what he was saying in class.

So, had a very challenging cardiac call, and I asked him "OK Mr Paramedic student (1st semester), what do you want to do for this patient?" He just stood there. I told him to close the doors and drive.

He was subsequently taken off of my truck and quit a week later. No great loss.

Dude, no friggin' mercy on these guys. I want them all duct taped to a tree naked by morning. Let's move!

Damn! I'm gonna need more tape. :D

Just in case any of you were wondering what the dictionary said about the word "irregardless:"

irregardless |?iri?gärdlis| adjective & adverb informal regardless. ORIGIN early 20th cent.: probably a blend of irrespective and regardless .USAGE Irregardless, with its illogical negative prefix, is widely heard, perhaps arising under the influence of such perfectly correct forms as: irrespective. Irregardless is avoided by careful users of English. Use regardless to mean 'without regard or consideration for' or 'nevertheless': | I go walking every day regardless of season or weather.

:wink: :oops: :D

There are a few that irk me. Namely:

P.S. the following are all based on former partners (of ALL levels)

1.) People that don't listen. ( Whether to what the pt is saying or to thier partner who is running the call.) #-o

2.) People that can't be taught. AKA, Never been wrong a day in their life. ](*,)

3.) People that refuse to listen to the voice of experience. (Textbooks are good but......) [-(

4.) Dispatchers that NEED to know everything that you are doing and why. ( You do your job and I'll do mine.) :twisted:

5.) Inexperienced partners voicing their inexperience in front of patients in an outside voice. (Talk to me AFTER the call or pull me aside)

IF the shoe fits......but you don't like the shoe.......try a different style. :wink:

People who overdo it with the smileys :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :shock:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.