Pet Peeve sayings

Ridryder 911

Okay.. after reading some EMS forums.. I continue to see sayings that for some reason or another.. just grates on me like chewing on foil.

Here are some that makes me cringe......

1) Basics saves medics

2) Oh, yeah, well my clinicals are ______ hours long !

3)How much more training do we really need ?

4) Why won't they just let us Paramedics just test out on nursing school.......

5) Blah..blah.... diesel medicine or anything related to driving back fast.......

6) I took the National Registry test ______ hours ago, and I still don't know the results....

7) The National Registry was (circle one) too hard/easy.......

8 ) Paramedics think they know it all......

9) All basics are stupid.........

10) Any discussion that alludes that making < 100 calls a year, actually allows you to claim you have experience.

11) Making simplistic treatment regime .... hard

12) That basics have the knowledge and responsibility as a Paramedic

13) Assuming that there should be a difference in pre-hospital knowledge and emergency medicine knowledge...

14) Those with thin skin.... and those that don't know what black humor is and understand it is appropriate at times.

Okay ..now it is your turn... what's yours ?

R/R911

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, the basics save paramedics thing pretty much irks me the most.

"Are you sure you're allowed to be doing that?" is up there, when it relates to something like intubation or starting an IV, but knowing some people in this field, that's actually a legitimate question.

"Trauma naked" works, as there are far too many perverts on this job. Seriously, we have people who's biggest wish for the night is that someone gets hurt enough so that they can cut their clothes off. Here's 40 bucks, go get a lap dance, and consider another career.

For me, the basics save paramedics thing pretty much irks me the most.

"Are you sure you're allowed to be doing that?" is up there, when it relates to something like intubation or starting an IV, but knowing some people in this field, that's actually a legitimate question.

"Trauma naked" works, as there are far too many perverts on this job. Seriously, we have people who's biggest wish for the night is that someone gets hurt enough so that they can cut their clothes off. Here's 40 bucks, go get a lap dance, and consider another career.

Cringes at the sound of "trauma naked"

Heres my short list from the rejects of the world

1.) "Wow, you can really do that?" (yep, i CAN apply this bandage...)

2.) "How long have you been volunteering?" (exactly one day longer than you've been stupid)

3.) "They actually pay you for this?" (are you serious)

4.) "How long have you been a fireman" (yep, the firepump is just below the AMBULANCE STRETCHER ON THE AMBULANCE)

5.) "I dont got to pay fo this right?" (not at all, and your hamburger at mcdonalds is free, your drycleanings free, your baby formula is free, and your crack is free, as well as every other service in our capitalist country, you societal reject...)

6.) "Do i really need the oxygen?" (nope, i was bored, and want to charge you more)

From EMS

1.) "eh, that chart can wait" (yep, because you can pick and choose your responsibilities)

2.) "eh, the trucks clean enough" (What defines clean enough? Does the ICU have a clean enough?)

3.) "Vitals are stable" (umm, whats the patients baseline vitals? How do you know they are stable if you dont have this info?)

4.) "We didnt have time to get fuel" then brag about your 4 hour nap.... (as i feel unpleasant pressure from getting screwed)

Im beat....more to come...

[marq=down:cf77a27552]PRPG[/marq:cf77a27552]

Mine would have to be anything about how a basic is stupid....granted we do not have the training or education of a paramedic and that is why we are called basics. Some basics i know seem to have a better grasp on a lot of stuff than some paramedics do. I am not knocking paramedics but please stop stereotyping all basics as idiots or nimrods....were not.

Sometimes it is because Paramedic courses are not often available in the area other times it is because the person does not want to pass the bls level.

One NON word:

IRREGARDLESS

It makes you look REALLY stupid when it is said...and especially written to someone with any education.

I have been peeved about this for too long now. This has been a good stress reliever!!! Thank you for your attention.

Actually Irregardless is mentioned in the American heritage Dictionary. So according to the American Heritage Dictionary online version it is a word.

Not a word that the bright people out there should use but it's used in language so it must be a word.

here's the link

http://www.bartleby.com/61/84/I0238400.html

Here's another source

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-irr1.htm

People who assume that if you say basics are inadequately educated that you mean they are idiots or nimrods.

Get a thicker skin (and an education) or get out of the business.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.