ADD/ADHD students

emtkelley

To be honest, I have been diagnosed with adult ADD. I am taking medication for it and am feeling pretty good about entering paramedic class this fall. I have been on the medication for a month and a half now. I feel for the first time, I can actually pay attention and not walk around in this fog I have been in for so many years.

Have any of you, as instructors, dealt with a person with add/adhd before? How did you feel about the student being in your class, assuming they told you about it when they started? Do you have any pointers for me in regards to studying? Also, do you feel it is wise to tell my instructor in private about my learning problems? I am not asking for special treatment by no means. I want to succeed in class and do the work like everyone else. Thanks!

I suggest talking to your instructor in private as soon as possible. Being an instructor, I can assure you knowing about your students as much as possible is helpful.

I wish you the best of luck in your new career and studies.

Be safe,

R/R 911

• 4 weeks later...
I suggest talking to your instructor in private as soon as possible. Being an instructor, I can assure you knowing about your students as much as possible is helpful.

I wish you the best of luck in your new career and studies.

Be safe,

R/R 911

I also agree with Ridryder. As instructors we need to feel very aware of our students and their concerns. Going into a new situations such as you are is difficult in and of itself. Give yourself every opportunity that you can. Trust me, we aren't as scary as we might seem. :)

I can relate to you because I was diagnosed with ADD back in '91 before ADD was being over diagnosed. I can tell you that it is very manageable. In fact a recent nationwide study of EMS students showed between 10-15% of all Paramedic students have ADD/ADHD. Believe it or not this actually can help you in the long run if you keep the ADHD managed. You can use it to your benefit when it comes time for clinicals in keeping with rapid thinking ability.

Good luck to you in class and with future endeavors.

I agree... talk to your instructor.. there are ways that we can make your learning a little easier, but we have to know about the "problem"....

Best of Luck!

I will be speaking with my instructor a few days before class to give her a heads up on the situation.

I am feeling pretty well taking medication for this. I am taking Straterra 40mg, being monitored by my dr. every 3 months. I am able to sort through my thoughts and remain focused. My family first saw the difference in me and then I was able to pick up on it as well. It's so strange that what was once such a fog, I can finally see through it. I feel like I have been given a second chance, in some ways.

I knew there was a percentage of medics having ADD but was unable to find it anywhere. I can indeed use this to my advantage.

What are the ways to help my learning become easier? Is there something I can do here at home to prep myself before I start class? Special mind excersises, if you will, to further increase my processing and retention of information?

Thanks to all who have responded. I have noticed by the number of veiws, there are many who are curious or seeking info on this subject. I would love to hear more form anyone who is dealing with this or has been exposed to this through a family member or student. Thanks again!!

What are the ways to help my learning become easier? Is there something I can do here at home to prep myself before I start class? Special mind excersises, if you will, to further increase my processing and retention of information?

There are a few things you can do to make your learning more effective. One great way is to get rid of distractions. A proven way to do this is to play music at a volume just loud enough to discern but not loud enough that you cannot concentrate (your favorite type of music usually works best). Make sure that when you study you are not trying to study too much at once, i.e. OB, trauma, and Peds all at once unless you are working on a pregnant woman who was in a car accident.

These are just a few things. Like I said before I have been there and I am glad to help out when I can. If you have more questions feel free to ask.

~Jared

• 2 months later...

I guess I'll take the same advice being I was diagnosed with ADD/ADHD just recently... It never was a problem 4 yrs ago in EMT-1 school but for some reason it reared its ugly head recently.

Bruce