C-collar without a backboard?

DwayneEMTP

Besides that...not trying to be mean here at all...but what happens if your patient's "outlines" don't fit in those "outlines". :shock: Seems like it would make for an even MORE uncomfortable experience....in my opinion...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's not rude, it's a fact of life. I for one will never ever ever ever fit on that silly looking thing. You come at me with that thing and I'm liable to make you show me how it fits you without being painful or screwing up your back.

That is a worthless piece of equipment if you ask me.

• 5 weeks later...

I just read a study and presented it to the regional ems coordinator. The backboard was invented for moving patients and have the space underneath of the backboard to "Move" not immobilize patients.

So while this is only one study of approx 8000 runs where backboards were not used, no further aggrevation of injuries occurred in moving these victims.

Obviously more research needs to be done. It is only one study. So before you take your backboard and put it in the attic with the MAST Suit, The EOA and the parts from the Cadillac Ambulance, keep researching and maybe we'll get some answers on the future of the backboard.

I just read a study and presented it to the regional ems coordinator. The backboard was invented for moving patients and have the space underneath of the backboard to "Move" not immobilize patients.

So while this is only one study of approx 8000 runs where backboards were not used, no further aggrevation of injuries occurred in moving these victims.

Obviously more research needs to be done. It is only one study. So before you take your backboard and put it in the attic with the MAST Suit, The EOA and the parts from the Cadillac Ambulance, keep researching and maybe we'll get some answers on the future of the backboard.

As I said in the first place the spineboa/ backboard/ rescue board is just an EXTRICATION device abnd alway has been

stay safe

As I said in the first place the spineboa/ backboard/ rescue board is just an EXTRICATION device abnd alway has been

This is true. The dilemma comes immediately after they are extricated onto the board. Now what? Moving them off the board requires too much manipulation. There is simply no safe way to do it until the c-spine is cleared. Consequently, once they are on it, they are on it til the end. Not because the board is good for them. Just because moving them off of it may be bad for them. Kind of like the impaled object theory.

The same dilemma comes when putting a supine patient onto the board. You have to roll them, which is potentially injurious. Consequently, I don't use a backboard for those patients, and instead opt for that other under-utilised piece of equipment, the scoop stretcher. When they get left at the hospital, my scoop stretcher comes with me. No need to leave it behind to never be seen again, like a backboard.

The best immoblization device I have ever used is a full body evacu-splint. Absolutely perfect formation- We train on ours with each other and on several occassions I have been so set I could not move even with trying and having all straps removed. These should not be used for most extrications though, as there is too much manipulation required to center the patient.

They are great immobilisers, but how do you get your patient onto it without overmanipulation?

We played with a few for a short while in the late 70's. They promptly ripped open, leaving a billion Styrofoam balls all over the place and rendering them entirely useless. I hope they are made of tougher materials these days.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.