How prepared is your town?

Ditto.... meanwhile, Grandpa has chest pain and a basic unit responds...but, in case ther is an MCI we are prepared...?

Be safe,

R/R 911

It's all politics, guys... Think about where the money is coming from. Grandpa having an MI and getting a basic unit does not get anywhere near the media attention as a town being destroyed by a massive hurricane. Politicians want to look good by allocating funds for MCI's and they want to look better for not having ignored the problem when one actually occurs.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's grant money from DHS strictly for the purpose of responding to MCI's and terrorism. Also, if you want to ask me about our current training situation, just ask. I can tell you it's more than most big city ems services do. Anyway, not trying to inflame anything, just thought I'd explain a little. When you work in a city within 50 miles of 2 nuclear reactors you have to be prepared for anything.

When you work in a city within 50 miles of 2 nuclear reactors you have to be prepared for anything.

Just curious, if they blow, are you sticking around to work the MCI, sacrificing yourself for a bunch of ungrateful strangers who are going to die just like you? Scene safety, my brother! I'm outta there! Send my final check to Canada!

I'd have to say that the system that I'm with is doing pretty good with the MCIs. We had one the weekend after Thanksgiving. We had a 25 car pileup as well as numberous other accidents along the interstate. We've only got a 2 bed ER and we delt with all of that and kept the town watched. Our farthest amb had to come 45 minutes to get the pt to the hospital and dispatch made sure that a LEO who was 1st Responder trained was in the area and one amb was within a few min of town. (Don't bring up ALS vs BLS here. Our highest cert is Intermediate.) We're just a rural county that deals with bus wrecks and the like on a semi-regular basis.

Just curious, if they blow, are you sticking around to work the MCI, sacrificing yourself for a bunch of ungrateful strangers who are going to die just like you? Scene safety, my brother! I'm outta there! Send my final check to Canada!

Oh, heck. Just to get someone going....yeah. I'd stick around! :D No, seriously, I understand where you're coming from but I was in a hurry when I typed that response. We are also the banking capital of the south. Yep, that's right, lots of big important targets if you know what I mean. Maybe none that everyone would recognize but ones that would cripple our economy. DHS has labeled our area as a high probability for terrorist attacks.

Now, as for training, that's a whole other subject. If someone would start the thread, I'd love to respond. I'm not going to cross subject lines on this site like others I've been to lately.

Be safe.

I've heard that statement countless times: "If (insert your disaster here) happens, I'll be (insert your prefered destination here)" I've found this to be all talk. On 9/11 we couldn't stop people from showing up for work. We had more help than we had employees. People came in who had quit years earlier.

Devin

Devin, you have to admit that a simple plane crash is a little different from biological attack or thermonuclear Armageddon.

I would speculate that the turnout for the latter events would not be quite as impressive.

I disagree too. Obviously, I witnessed it on 9/11. For all we knew at the time, that could have been a biological attack disguised as a plane crash, but people still showed up. As for thermonuclear armaggedon, well that could be a different story considering the blast might wipe out the initial responders in the area. But I firmly believe people would respond.

Devin

Nah... had anybody there thought it was something more than what it was, they would have run like little girls. Just like the people in OKC did when the rumour started that there was a second bomb. Sure, there are a few idiots who will disregard the tenet of scene safety just to be a dead hero. More power to them. But thankfully, they are the exception, not the rule.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.