"Grey's Anatomy" Insults Paramedics

UMSTUDENT

[/font:59ba7cb592]I absolutely love Grey's Anatomy, and I don't think last night's episode was all that bad. It's just TV, and we all know that the biggest majority of professions or even life in general is never portrayed the way it actually is. I agree with noahmedic's comment - "... real life wouldn't make good tv.".

And I was waiting for one of the guys to mention the 3 girls in the shower! I'm suprised it didn't get mentioned sooner! LOL :wink:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nurses aren't happy with Grey Anatomy or House, M.D. They both show doctors doing things nurses would normally attend to, even in the most progressive hosptials. These shows also portray nursing staff and allied healthcare as dumb and/or obnoxious, as we saw last night.

I love House, M.D., but on more than once occasion, House has insulted Paramedics. In one instance, when the medic was giving his report in the ED, House effectively told him to shut up and told him that he should of stayed in school. I know House's character is intended to be caustic, but what people see on TV determines a lot of what they think about the real thing...as unfortunate as that is.

Eh, every now and then medics do get treated that way, unfortunately. You're right it does send out a certain portrayal, but all shows do this.

Reminds me of how cop shows always have the city cops and the Feds at odds. On my first police ride-along as a teen, we worked a bank robbery and someone mentioned the Feds were here. My immediate thought was, "oh, man, they're gonna ruin the case" b/c it had been so engrained from television. But the other cop's response was, "Oh, cool? Is so and so there? Last time we we went out for drinks." They proceed to share stories about fun times with the Feds and how they should be paid more". Goes to show how television really does mold us, especially kids.

My god, it's Hollywood. Get over it, I'm sure it will not affect anyone's career because of something that happened on an ABC sitcom. And I believe he was telling her how to bag the patient, as to not be overzealous, and explode the ordinance. For the shape that it had, if it was shot from a model gun, it probably did not have a detonator, and most likely was shot out using a powder bag. Other wise, it should have gone right through the flesh and muscle. Usually you run into problems when it hits the pelvis, sternum or spinal column.

I seen a man with a rocket propelled gernade lodged in his abdomen in Vietnam. Nobody wanted to touch him, so he bled to death quickly. I won't tell you how they removed it.

It's a TV show, can't take it personally. No show really portrays how things really are whether it's about ER's or UPS delivery men, they are all the same, not truly reality based. There is some guy who writes the script, does some but not indepth research and voila....there is your episode.

I don't think there was anything really insulting in that episode.

A medic not knowing how to bag a patient isn't an insult, it's shoddy research by the writers.

The anesthesiologist's desire for self preservation isn't really an insult either, it's a valid point. In fact, I think it might make us look a little better in the old bravery category.

As for House, first of all, he's House M.D. he can say what ever he want. Second, he was talking to a medic in New Jersey. Third, maybe he meant MEDIC SCHOOL, which is exactly what I'd be saying to a medic if they were giving a shoddy report as well.

I think it makes us look worse when David Hasselhoff brings someone back to life with a defibrillator then hands them off on an NRB to EMS. Doesn't make us look real good when we can't pull that off in real life.

i have a theory

It's called Devolution

for every sitcom, reality show, knockoff's of american idol, remake of old popular songs that comes out and the american people gobble up hook line and sinker we take one more step back on the monkeys/apes take one step forward.

So far the apes are about 50 steps behind us.

Guest Beegers
Well, according to JEMS, all this disrespect for EMS stems from my books. So I guess you have me to take for it. :shock:

Devin

How interesting because my grandmother read your books and loved it and never understood why I've come home in such a bad mood and didn't want/ or unable to talk about it....or I came home laughing so hard. You're books are just honest and fun side of the profession...I COULD make a few more comments but I'm trying to support your books in this post. :?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.