"Grey's Anatomy" Insults Paramedics

UMSTUDENT

I don't know, I guess this stuff happens because we really don't have a voice to come out and say "Hey, a lot of paramedics spend significant amounts of time in the hospital environment. Many of them do rotations in ORs practicing intubation and are familiar with how they work on an integral level."

In the end, the paramedic got scared and ran out the door potentially killing everyone in the OR. She came across as an untrained worker. It would have been no difference if she was a janitor or someone working in the cafeteria (not that these aren't perfectly fine jobs). She was never presented as a healthcare professional capable of handling the situation she was in, but instead as a simple bystander caught in the heat of the moment. That bothers me and I think it should bother others.

Yes, on the outside it makes good TV but the attitude towards the EMS profession was shown in whomever wrote that script. Most likely his degree wasn't in medicine either, which says lots about how the general public views us.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will address the ambu bag comment

I see Noah is only 21 years old, so he wasnt around when the number one maker of BVMs was ambu, hence everyone saying ambu bag instead of BVM. AMBU was printed in large letters on every BVM we had, so it became common to say AMBU bag instead of BVM. Not local venacular, just a sign of the times...lol

Its just like a lot of nurses in CCU will say Tridil drip instead of NTG drip. Tridil is the brand, not the drug name.

How many people say turkey baster or tube checker instead of EOD?

Have to turn to showtime or cinemax for that nate!!!!!

I have called them Ambu bags as well, Most of the time if i need it i just hollar " I need a bag and a tube over here".

that gets the job done. But also have trumpets and vomit rockets. among other names....

I don't watch gray's anatomy but was going to watch it last night, un fortunitly i was called to a fire so work came first ( damn it ) I prefer to watch Scrub's on tuesdays .....

Nurses aren't happy with Grey Anatomy or House, M.D. They both show doctors doing things nurses would normally attend to, even in the most progressive hosptials. These shows also portray nursing staff and allied healthcare as dumb and/or obnoxious, as we saw last night.

I love House, M.D., but on more than once occasion, House has insulted Paramedics. In one instance, when the medic was giving his report in the ED, House effectively told him to shut up and told him that he should of stayed in school. I know House's character is intended to be caustic, but what people see on TV determines a lot of what they think about the real thing...as unfortunate as that is.

Didn't watch the episode. Thought the promo was pretty funny without intending to be.

"What two words does and emergency room surgeon never want to hear?...."

Emergency Room Surgeon? What is he, lost?

The elevator's over here, sir.

'zilla

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.