"Grey's Anatomy" Insults Paramedics

UMSTUDENT

Yeah, so if you're currently working "Grey's Anatomy" you should be extremely insulted as a paramedic, student or current EMS provider. Basically, this episode deals with an event called a "Code Black" by the hospital staff in which a an un-detonated RPG shell is found inside a patient on the operating table. A paramedic in the field has bravely inserted her hand in order to stop an internal bleed, but must keep her hand on the bleed in order to not detonate the bomb inside. A bomb squad has currently been called to the hospital and is assessing the situation...

In the beginning of the episode, when the paramedic and surgical team enter into the OR, she makes the comment that she "doesn't have enough education to be in an OR" and feels uncomfortable with the situation (not currently knowing there is a bomb inside of the patient). This alone shows what people think of our profession....

Further into the episode the anesthesiologist take the time to show this paramedic how to bag a patient before jetting out because "he has kids." Basically, a medical doctor must be more important because he has kids and a medical degree.

Wake-up for all of you out there who think people, especially TV show medical advisers, respect our profession.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was an honest statement....paramedics aren't technically trained to be in OR's. But at the same time the bagging thing is somewhat degrading, but at the same time....IT IS TELEVISION, and it sucks so much that it is not even bad television at that (it would insulting to such high quality programming as American Idol :roll: to call Grey's Anatomy bad television)

I was glad to see the MD bale before the medic though. :wink:

I agree it was somewhat bizarre for the MD to have to tell the Medic how to bag the pt, but what the hell, bad TV will always be just that, bad TV.

Squad 51 where are you? lol

Yeah, so if you're currently working "Grey's Anatomy" you should be extremely insulted as a paramedic, student or current EMS provider. Basically, this episode deals with an event called a "Code Black" by the hospital staff in which a an un-detonated RPG shell is found inside a patient on the operating table. A paramedic in the field has bravely inserted her hand in order to stop an internal bleed, but must keep her hand on the bleed in order to not detonate the bomb inside. A bomb squad has currently been called to the hospital and is assessing the situation...

In the beginning of the episode, when the paramedic and surgical team enter into the OR, she makes the comment that she "doesn't have enough education to be in an OR" and feels uncomfortable with the situation (not currently knowing there is a bomb inside of the patient). This alone shows what people think of our profession....

Further into the episode the anesthesiologist take the time to show this paramedic how to bag a patient before jetting out because "he has kids." Basically, a medical doctor must be more important because he has kids and a medical degree.

Wake-up for all of you out there who think people, especially TV show medical advisers, respect our profession.

What the heck are you talking about? She's totally a hero in this episode, despite her ditzy immature personality (they make it a point that she's young). She puts her hand INSIDE patient to save his LIFe b/c that's her priority, despite her partner disagreeing with her. Saying she's not qualified to be in the OR is nervous/excited chatter as she humbles herselves to the docs, so what.

Then she actually STAYS in the room even though the other doctor bails out on her. She's scared and shaking, not a naturally strong personality, brand new medic, but she stays and manages. That scene was a diss on the coward doctor. I don't know how you got out of it that he's more important just b/c he rushes out saying "I've got kids". The scene wasn't supposed to make viewers go 'oh, he's more important, she's more expendable'. It's supposed to make them go, "What a jerk! I hope he gets fired or drinks himself to death (my friend actually IMed that comment during the episode).

When the episode first started I worried it might be a medic bashing scene, but it turned out to be exactly the opposite.

Then again, maybe people just see what they're looking to see...

Edit: The doctor showing her how to bag someone was slightly degrading, but you might figure she knew how to do it, but was so nervous she was doing it to fast (b/c her hand was on a bomb), she he was remindeded to keep it constant. On screen it came off as a good transition and I think the viewers to busy realizing the jerk doctor was going to bail ship on her.

Well you could tell who the "advisors" were...

Be safe,

R/R 911

They have advisors for that show?

I have to say that I watch this show every week, but certainly not for it medical reality, just because my partner makes me. :| In all seriousness we were sitting at base joking about the doctor showing her how to bag the patient. That and them calling it an "ambu-bag", maybe it just local vernacular, but we always call it a BVM. Anyways, it's just a tv show, I'm sure that the AMA hates them showing attendings sleeping with interns, and I say an article last week about the a nurses association complaining about their outlook on nurses. I guess real life wouldn't make good tv.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.