Question about applying EKG pads

Para-Medic

Hi everyone,

I usually have no problem putting on EKG pads. I know where they go and how to put them on EXCEPT on the patients that really need it. I'm talking about the obvious signs of AMI and that incredibly diaphoretic moment. Usually I just wipe the area clean and re-apply pads but they just keep coming off (seriously I could go through like 3 bags of those pads). From what I've heard it's a common problem. So, I wanted to know if anyone here has tips or tricks on how to make this fast and effective. Someone told me that hospitals actually have some special pads for these types of situations but I never got the name of them. Maybe someone here knows. Well, if anyone has any advice or opinions please post. THANKS

No way. It's cheap. Very cheap. It just causes the area you have applied it to to become dry and tacky. Anything will stick to it. Although, you probably don't want the benzoin on the gel contact area. Just where the sticky goes. I don't know for sure if it would interfere with gel contact.

I think we have all been driven crazy by the diaphoretic patient who cannot hold onto his ECG electrodes for long enough to get a trace - makes me scream sometimes. Alcohol swabs are useful,however, at the end of the day if they dont want to stay on...they just wont :roll: :wink:

Stapled....

Sometimes ER has small little ampules/swabs of Benzoin, that they use for taping products etc... Like Dust said, apply where the sticky part NOT the gel on the electrode. Another temporary methods is try wiping with 4 X 4 , then apply then place tape over electrode.

I always try to carry some extra electrodes from the unit an stress test lab.. they have a very stick adherence.. might ask if they will give you some for those special patients. (place in plastic bag to prevent dying out)

Be safe,

R/ R 911

I have found that this is a big problem if you are using "cheap" electrodes. There are several manufacturers out there that make "diaphoretic" electrodes.

I have never tried the Benzoin, but I hear it works great, I usually dry the area down with a towel or a 4X4, then stick the electrode in place -- use tape if I need to. Also, on those patients that are a little hairy and diaphoretic, giving them the 12-lead shave seems to work really well too!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.