Ambulance Livery!

Kenny

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody who has not been to the page those photos originated from needs to go check it out!

http://www.crestlinecoach.com/evcon/index.php3

At the bottom of the page is a calculator that gives you a visibility score for any given livery scheme. Very useful for designing your next ambo. For instance, with the calculator, you can find the visibility difference between red/lime chevrons and green/lime chevrons, or the difference between green/lime checkerboard and orange/lime checkerboard.

Great page. I bookmarked it when I found it last year.

I've only ever seen American EMS operating on T.V. but one thing I have noticed is their apparent little use of High Visibility clothing. Over here Ambulance , Police and FF's wear Hi Vis as routine at all RTA's (road traffic accidents) Ambulance Hi Vis is Green (shoulders) and Yellow (rest of Jacket) with lots of reflective striping (22 wide) The Yellow helps you be seen during the day and he Reflective Stripes are visible at night. Even building construction workers wear Hi Vis on building sites. hi Vis is normally worn as standard at night. Our hi vis is available in heavy duty jackets and light weight vests. A full yellow anorak will pobably cost E30 - E40. however all Ambulance services etc. issue it as part of the uniform.

I don't care for hi-vis clothing as the standard uniform. I don't like looking like a circus clown for 24 hours straight.

Hi vis traffic vests or jackets are perfectly sufficient and can be thrown on for the small percentage of runs they are required on.

About the harris county one I read somewhere that many rural ambulance services used to be provided by undertakers, maybe a reference to the black? Also about the hi-vis jackets thing saw an interesting item called flashwear (www.flashwear.com), which is battery powered and dont need reflections to work. Seems like a good idea, but expensive me thinks. Probably a no-go with limited budgets and all that... Also about the reflective films like scothgaurd, one that London ambulance uses is called reflexite, and they fit to how many hundreds of mercedes they have with little apparent difficulty.

You would think that with all the flashing lights, and mostly white painted ambulances would be more tan visible at night. and they are. You can dress up an ambulance with as much reflective crap as you want. it will not change the fact that the reason so many medics and LEO's are hit is because rubber neckers want to see whats going on, as they look to what ever side the scene is on the natural thing to do is shift in the seat and your arm and hand follows and turns the wheels to where they are looking. Boom dead public servent.

To be honest i think we are trying way to hard here. I have accually turned off my flashers on a HWY accident scene before.... even the HWY patrol commented on how there didn't seem to be as many close calls. the troopers said it seemed like the cars would straighten out after the patrol car ... as if he had just finished a traffic stop. hardly even looked at the ambulance. but hey that was only once. maybe a fluke..... my thoughts anyway.

You definitely do have a point, Race. Of course, we also have to assume that every bit helps. Sure, the drunks and rubberneckers see the lights, but the retroreflective markings help them to understand that there is something IN BETWEEN the lights. There is a theory that drunks see two lights and try to navigate between them rather than around them. If the body is reflective, this helps prevent that.

High visibility is even more important during the day. In which case, reflective isn't important. But then again, it's not any more expensive than painting in the same high-vis colours, so why not make it reflective too?

And, of course, it's not unheard of for your electrical system to fail on a scene, leaving you without lights. Been there and done that!

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.