Ambulance Livery!

Kenny

Right here in the UK ambulances tend to be decked out in yellow and green batturnburg patterns which are reflective, and sometimes the rest of the vehicle might be day-glo yellow or white. This is all in aid to allow them to be seen, but from the pictures I have seen of american and canadian ambulances they dont seem to have any reflective material. Also we have rear chevrons in red and yellow, but again I have never seen this on an american truck. Does this lack of reflective material make a difference to being seen? Or are emergency warning lights enough? Or possibly do you think ambulance services in the UK have gone over-board with wanting to be seen? Sorry about all the questions just curious lol

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right here in the UK ambulances tend to be decked out in yellow and green batturnburg patterns which are reflective, and sometimes the rest of the vehicle might be day-glo yellow or white. This is all in aid to allow them to be seen, but from the pictures I have seen of american and canadian ambulances they dont seem to have any reflective material. Also we have rear chevrons in red and yellow, but again I have never seen this on an american truck. Does this lack of reflective material make a difference to being seen? Or are emergency warning lights enough? Or possibly do you think ambulance services in the UK have gone over-board with wanting to be seen? Sorry about all the questions just curious lol

American EMS, tends to put more stock in an attractive look of a unit, than safety in paint schemes.

Most departments, at least around my neck of the woods, prefer red vehicles to any other color. The studies from a few years ago said that red was the hardest to see color and that lime yellow/green is the best visible. I have yet to see an emergency vehicle without some type of reflective material. However, I don't feel that enough of the reflective striping and letters is used. There have been several departments lately that have gone with the reflective red/yellow chevrons on the rear of the vehicles.

We just received and ordered another new ambulance. Many of us asked to have the chevrons placed on the back. We were denied. One of our local fire companies has them on the back of apparatus. Ugly as hell. But it serves a purpose, and works.

They did allow for much more reflective striping, to go with the new logo. One of our medics, who also sells ambulances on the side, suggested that all of the colors be made out of Scotchlite. Denied, shade was not close enough.

Flashing amber LEDs have been added to the rear at drivers eye height.

We also have new jackets on order, with some reflective striping included.

We look like UFO's with all of our LED lights. :D Our ambulances also have the graphics made out of reflective vinyl. The paint scheme is pretty cool, but it would be nice if it was reflective or yellow instead.

Harris County ESD down here has a solid black truck with reflective vinyl. :?

Even with the best paint scheme in the world, once you step out of the unit, you are putting your life in the hands of someone that probably doesn't see you.

As an example, even with the required reflective vest on, with all of the flashing lights on a scene, it is next to impossible to see a human. Now the stripes and paint colors may make a difference in the daylight, but the night scenes are a bigger worry for me.

I wished we could have the same reflective material that school buses have on them. It appears brighter than scotch-lite. One of the most dangerous things in EMS is nighttime work. We loose a lot of medics. What I have seen lately, Troopers. F.D., etc.. has not learned much about staging and protection at the scene.

I really don't care how bright and color scheme .. as long as it worked. We have bright red, yellow, blue now, since we have finally got to change from the traditional omaha orange. LED are great sometimes, but are very unidirectional. We have combination strobes/ LED and appears very bright without glare. Along with the reflective stripes as well.

I have started using the reflective vests, (1'st time in my 28 yr career) even though we have reflective stripes on our jackets. Again, with increasing poor staging and dangerous scenes, I like to be seen as much as possible. Funny how most EMS chooses dark blue as their colors, for jackets and pants.. (yes, they hide dirt) and turn black at night time.

Be safe,

R/R 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.