"First Responders" on Ambulances

Dustdevil

That depends. I mean, I've given cops and firefighter crash courses in EMS when I need an extra pair of hands on the way to the hospital, so having at least someone at the level of First Responder in the back isn't an idea I'm completely willing to discount, but then again, for a professional service, it's not exactly cost effective. First Responders are there to do just that, respond first, do what they can, and then let the big boys take over.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I might have to find another site to visit. What a bunch of conceited and condescending folks you are! When the ca-ca hits the fan I would rather have someone with some knowledge than nobody. Like I said before we have some folks who are FR that mainly are there to drive, but if an other set of hands is needed for something, at least they have an idea what is going on. Maybe the name of this site should be changed to Para-God city since so many seem to think that (to paraphrase a SNL skit) "IF you ain't paramedic your CRRAAAPPP!" (in a Scottish accent) There is a place for every level in the system and just because you have advanced, does not mean those at the lower level are worthless.

I have not been involved in EMS long enough to get my paramedic so I guess I should not get in. I mean if I can't fit in paramedic school with being in the Army and being a husband and father, why am I even in EMS. Heaven forbid I respond on a call and actually help some one!

Sage, out!

I think I might have to find another site to visit. What a bunch of conceited and condescending folks you are! When the ca-ca hits the fan I would rather have someone with some knowledge than nobody. Like I said before we have some folks who are FR that mainly are there to drive, but if an other set of hands is needed for something, at least they have an idea what is going on. Maybe the name of this site should be changed to Para-God city since so many seem to think that (to paraphrase a SNL skit) "IF you ain't paramedic your CRRAAAPPP!" (in a Scottish accent) There is a place for every level in the system and just because you have advanced, does not mean those at the lower level are worthless.

I have not been involved in EMS long enough to get my paramedic so I guess I should not get in. I mean if I can't fit in paramedic school with being in the Army and being a husband and father, why am I even in EMS. Heaven forbid I respond on a call and actually help some one!

Sage, out!

SSG G-man, don't get your knickers in a knot. The whole point of a forum is for ppl to express their opinions. you do not have to agree with them as you have chosen not to do. I have read and re-read this thread to see what bothered you so much and can't seem to find it ( maybe it's me ). I have yet to see were anyone said FR's are CRAAAPPPP! FR's have there place, just not on a ambulance. LEO's, FF's etc are excellent examples of FR's. But are they trained and educated enough to ride on the ambulance? I for one think not.

ive seen some first responders that are better trained than some of the emts.

well as far as the ''higher ups'' as i call them,some do forget were they came from :roll:

theres a saying i like''' becareful of the toes u step on today,it may be the ass u have 2 kiss tomorrow'' :D i personally don't ''go with the flow''.

How do we always end up here when someone believes that a certain position requires a certain level of education?

I don't know the answer to this question, though I do know this: When I go to see my doctor, I don't want a Paramedic

filling in for him. I don't want them doing my doctors job, does that mean I think they are crap?

nope.

Dwayne

I think the ideal place for First Responders, given by the cert. description, is in fire depts. They are a great asset to the ambulance crew by providing "life-saving" care, and stabilizing patients until we can get there. Our responders usually have the patents ready for transport when we arrive. That is was we have trained them to do. However, they do not have the length of training to provide transport, or to be the end of the road for that patient's care. It is ok for them to function as a driver with a paramedic or EMT, but should not be the primary care provider. Our fire dept. has at least 2 EMT-B's that oversee the First Responders. Our First responders do undergo thorough training, but only enough to stabilize for the next level. To some extent, this is what Basics do on ALS calls. Our FR's are taught O2 therapy, CPR/AED, spinal immobilization, traction splints, oral glucose, assisting with NTG, Epi Auto-injector, Activated Charcoal, and metered-dose inhalers. They do a great job in this aspect, but I would like to see them at least EMT's to be on an ambulance.

It was not something specific in this thread it is a feel I get in general on this site. It seems that if you are not NREMT-P then you shoud get off your lazy ignorant butt and go to school. I get tired of reading that everyone who goes to EMT class passes and the skills are dumbed down, etc. I just hit the breaking point I guess, since most of the people I run with are EMT-B's.

It was not something specific in this thread it is a feel I get in general on this site. It seems that if you are not NREMT-P then you shoud get off your lazy ignorant butt and go to school. I get tired of reading that everyone who goes to EMT class passes and the skills are dumbed down, etc. I just hit the breaking point I guess, since most of the people I run with are EMT-B's.

maybe those of us on here who post fro mthe dizzy heights of Paramedic or the even dizzier heights or being registered Health professionals ( whether that's paramedics (in those juristictions that treat paramedics as Health Professionals 'proper' rather than highly trained monkeys, Nurses, Physicians or any one of them any other registered ) are worried aobut two things

1. the best care for the patient.

2. our ongoing ability to earn our livings , especially when we are the senior on scene or are managers / trainers / asssessors of those with lesser certification.

there's a point where the care offered by 'trained providers' diminishes away to or below that offered by the concerned citizen with little knowledge and a first aid certificate , or even a boy scout! - especially with the advent of PAD

first responders have a place - but that place it probably best met by current US EMT_B qualified staff unless there is a very specific and restricted activation criteria - as seen with some UK first responder schemes where it's mainly life threatening medical calls the FRs aresent to - to provide early defib, early basic airway management and/ or early oxygen therapy

i'm not sure there is a place for providers with 120 or so hours of training on emergency ambulances - hell even PTS crews i nthe UK get more training than that - and they transport stable patients to and from outpatient appointments and take discharged patients home, when you consider thar Uk middle teir crews and Voluntary secto crews are getting200 -300 hours training and UK Technicians upto 150 hours more + plus a years probationary time with furtherr study , practice assessments and a requirement to be paired up with experienced staff...

that's before even considering the preparation of paramedcis which on an international scale is moving towards mandatory higher education at the diploma / foundation degree level ( 2/3rds of a Honours degree) and even mandatory bachelors degrees in some places

If your going to work on a transport unit, the best option is to have at least one Paramedic on the rig...

If it's BLS system then at the minimum I would want an EMT on the rig...

If your just a first responder without EMT training, you really shouldn't be transporting patients...

Just a few of my brief opinions...