"First Responders" on Ambulances

Dustdevil

Should certified first responders be permitted to function as a primary member of a 911 ambulance crew?

Should certified first responders be permitted to function as a primary member of a non-emergency transfer ambulance crew?

Why or why not?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In ther rural south some places allow them to drive (as they must have EVOC Licenses from the Dept. of Health)

In terms of functioning, they are BLS providers and can be supervised by an EMT-Basic or Paramedic.

FR's here for the most part would have EVOC and function as a driver--so yes, Virginia, they could function as primary members of a transport unit. (My assumption of course is that most Drivers here are trained to the level of a CFR--MS and AL do not recognize CFR as a level for EMS)

I have to agree with Rid ( again lol ). there is already a driver on the unit, we don't need another one. Wait, maybe they could read the map. Before everyone get's excited, I am a Basic, so forget that.

There should be 2 crew members ( preferably 3 ) on a ambo, 1 medic, 1 basic, in an ideal world 2 medics and a basic. 1st responders have their place, it's just not on the back of an ambulance. :wink:

Alright. In the ideal world, no, a First Responder should not be the primary care provider in the back of an ambulance. Not a good thing... I mean.. you can do the physical skills to some extent that a Basic could, but you don't have the education to understand why you're doing what or what to do when the situation gets hairy- you have so few skills that it's difficult to adapt to weird situations.

Now, if you're talking as a team member, then sure, but what's the point, really. If you've got a paramedic in the back or a basic, all of a sudden you have extra hands to take notes, hand you stuff, spike the IV bag (note, the bag, not the patient), get a blood pressure while someone else is doing something important like ventilating or intubating... but unless you've got a paramedic, FR#1, FR#2 three person team, you're generally going to have the highest skill levels in the back and the FR becomes nothing but... an ambulance driver. When you have a bad case you and your partner jump in the back and the firefighter drives... or the other firefighter gets thrown into doing compressions... why have a permanent lowest man on the totem pole? I don't see the FR getting to do much other than compressions every now and again and being a stretcher fetcher/gear hauler/driver. Sounds like what some Basics get to do!

The only way I can see a First Responder in a paid position is if you're out in hicksville@nowhere.com and you have absolutely no one else available. Then yes, put the FR's on the rig, and get the patient in the best shape possible to the hospital. Better than having a trauma victim with a spinal injury ride in in someone's car. But I'd be trying to get the volley fire guys to go through basic school so you'd have at least that much available to you.

Now, as an observer/helper/volunteer, why the hell not? Greatest way to learn something and you're supervised so you won't get yourself or the patient in trouble! You might not get to do much, but you'll sure as heck get to watch and learn! That's what hooked me into this field, in all honesty... the first ride I ever had was the best thing that ever happened to me and I was a 17 year old First Responder....

Eydawn

NREMT-B

I like to have them ride in with us and assist if we're working a code or a nasty trauma, but as a paid member of the Service... I dunno.... I'd have to say no, mainly for the reasoning of their lack of training time....

48 Hours = First Responder (which by the way is NEVER an adequate amount of time to introduce even the most basic skills - My classes run 62 hours, and that's STILL not enough time). 120 Hours = EMT-B (which I don't think is enough time either... my program runs 315, and I've NEVER had a class run under 250)...

There is a lot that can be learned "in the field", and I don't know where we'd be without our Fire/Rescue First Responders.... but, I'm not sure that I'd agree with moving them to the Rig.

That's what you get for asking my opinion Dust... LOL :lol:

I run with VOLUNTEER department (let the bashing start) that is combined Fire/EMS and we have FR that drive. I am a relatively new EMT and our department want the newer EMTs to be spending their time on patient care and not start driving right away. We have several FFs who can drive the box and are FR. So this frees up the EMTs to do patient care. There is also a policy that until the officers feel comfortable with a new EMTs skills, he/she is not allowed to go out with the FR's unless a more experienced EMT is on the piece.

Do you also mean in volunteer settings? Where I work at we have several who are first responders myself included, however we also have a B an I and a paramedic. I have been allowed to go on calls since I was seventeen as long as I wasn't overstepping my bounds, I don't have a problem with it as long as they are supervised and can prove they are capable of handling themselves.