why can't we give water?

Para-Medic

Yes. But it darn sure didn't come from paramedic or EMT school. It came from nursing school and years of hospital practice.

SPELL CHECKED: No errors found. 8)

I agree with you that there are emt/medics that are not well trained...I work in a nursing home for my day job and i also see lpn/rn not knowing how to give pt care..I saw one nurse doing cpr on someone with a pulse.....

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you that there are emt/medics that are not well trained...I work in a nursing home for my day job and i also see lpn/rn not knowing how to give pt care..I saw one nurse doing cpr on someone with a pulse.....

:shock:

You're kidding me right? CPR on someone with a pulse? If you can palp it, you don't compress it! Isn't that what all the AHA/ARC guidelines are about? Airway Breathing Circulation... under Circulation, you only begin compressions if the patient is *pulseless* and apneic!!!! Or did I miss something here?

Eydawn

NREMT-B

You're kidding me right? CPR on someone with a pulse? If you can palp it, you don't compress it! Isn't that what all the AHA/ARC guidelines are about? Airway Breathing Circulation... under Circulation, you only begin compressions if the patient is *pulseless* and apneic!!!! Or did I miss something here?

Eydawn

NREMT-B

Unless it's a child or infant... AHA guidelines state that a person under the age of 8 years old who in not responsive, not breathing with a pulse rate <60 should receive CPR with a goal compression rate of >100 per minute. If the scientific evidence is pointing in that direction for children, who's to say that in a couple years that doesn't become the norm across the board? It's not like CPR rules change very often right? :P

If I came across an elderly pt who was unresponsive, not breathing but had a pulse rate of 20 and weak.... I might start thumpin', why not? won't be long until that 20 goes to 0. If the pt went into resp arrest, it takes some time for the body to decompensate, just ventilating isn't always the answer. Every situation is different.

What I found shocking about the post was that someone actually saw a nursing home RN do CPR!!!! Amazing!! In all my years.... :D

dude it can be appropriate to do cpr on a person with a pulse. If the pulse is too slow or not perfusing well enough. do cpr.

Trust me the lady was fine...They even hooked her up and it keep saying no shock advised...the women was breathing..if anything they should of assisted her with breathing not do cpr...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.