Christianity in EMS...

PCTtiff

Hey all,

I replied to an interesting topic on here recently and got some differing views on this. I don't want a bunch of people writing me hate mail :( I just want your PERSONAL ideas on the topic.

How do you guys handle the emotional stresses in EMS? Do any of you give your problems to God or do you try to handle them by yourselves? I know alot of you can, I'm NOT saying you can't. I'm just saying sometimes it's ALOT easier to give them to God. I want you to know, He's always there for you. No matter how many people you've lost or are losing, He's the one thing that will NEVER change - one person who'll never leave you. That's where I find my comfort and my will to go on cause I certainly don't find it in this world. Everyone's problems and feelings are unique, and He's the only one capable of handling all of them.

Now that I've said my piece, I want to hear yours! Write what you feel, but please no hate mail! :) God bless you all!

In Jesus,

Tiffany

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do any of you give your problems to God or do you try to handle them by yourselves?

The problem is, God is the one who gave me my problems in the first place, and she has a strict no return policy.

Therefore, I deal. The only option is suicide, and I enjoy living too much.

Yes I do, it is great to see somebody this day in age that is not scared to say that.

Before I get attack i will say that i do not push it on my patients i respect them. I do pray for all of them and if they ask i will pray with them if it does not get in the way of patient care.

I find great comfort in being able to turn it all over to him.

Yes, I have a strong faith. Find it fascinating that more in EMS do not have faith based. Maybe, that is why there are so many measurable, lonely people in EMS. Attempt to have a quick fix of justification of proving themselves. As observed most do not look as EMS as a "calling" rather as something "neat to do" in comparison to other health care professions. Hence the short term career.. are you aware the average Paramedic goes to school for 1 1/2 years and works for only 3 in the field. Wow... the basic last a little longer, 5 years. I find it amusing most medics actually think that they have control over situations of saving life of others. Thinking they really "save' lives makes me even laugh out loud. They are an instrument to prevent death and relieve pain or further injury, but they still cannot control death or outcomes. Again, even the most educated have to accept to this .

I know it is the current trend to bash Christianity, because it is the trend. Within the past 10 years, this trend has gain momentum, and our country has reflected the result of this. Sorry, if we Christians share our faith because those that really experience it are happy.. and only wish the same of others. Believe it or not,Christians are educated (yes, many Nobel winners & members of MENSA), we make up the majority of the population. Just because, we accept a loving Creator, and try to encompass his teaching to love the fellow person, and think of others before our selves, does not make us better, only understand things.

Far as having a perfect life, no one ever promised that.. short & simple. How, you deal with it and the compromises, the events bad and good, makes the person you are.

People are always wanting to know the purpose of life, philosophers still argue and seek such. People continually want to know if this is all life has in it. Again, thinking of short term goals. How does one really think, this life on this earth is really, all there is. That would be a very sad thing indeed. For those that do not believe.. what if .. only what if it is right, that there truly is a God ? That is the uniqueness, you have the choice... as it has been preached for years.

So bash away, because I choose to inner faith, that allows me to recognize my short falls, to understand "man" will never ever be perfect. That we as people cause the consequences, and that like in life, what goes around comes around ...and suffer the consequences (look at the behavior at the world today) That I believe in some moral responsibility, to protect my integrity, trustworthiness, and do not seek current trends does not make me bad or prude.

Just, because I do have faith, I am not going to allow others to bash or degrade my belief system. Far as "pushing" it on others.. no; I will tell the inner peace is fantastic, knowing what my purpose in life is great.. no, this does not prevent me from having troubles and no it is not a "get of jail card".. But, when troubles and tragic events do occur, I may not realize why such occurs, but I have inner faith to keep me going and have a clearer purpose of life.

Again, the choice is yours.. you are responsible for your own destiny in life.

Peace,

R/R 911

Again, the choice is yours.. you are responsible for your own destiny in life.

[/quote

Well up until a few nights ago I hardley ever posted in the forums becasue of various reasons but I have to once again give my thoughts on this...cause If it was not for God I would probally be dead somewhere....

Like I said in a post the other night I was raised in a Christain home and I still carry those values and morals with me. I do not go to church on a regular basis because of an incident that happened a few years back....This incident just changed my views on the church and people in it but did not shake my faith in God. I have a very deep rooted faith in God and I know I would not be where I am now if he had not brougt me through all the things in my life that i have faced.

Rid I do agree with on two points we are responsible for out own destiny we choose to believe in God or not...it is our choice. He gave us the free will to choose to serve him or not.

The second point i agree with is the fact that We were never promised an easy life....when we have trails and tribulations it is God's way of letting us know he is in control and has the wheel..

The trails we go through and how we deal with them are what makes us who we are, again another choice we can choose to see the good in everything or we can choose to see the bad and play the poor me why does things always happen to me.....Me i choose to look at each of these trails as a growing expirence. We are never too old to learn from something. God will never put more on us than we can bear....

Well these are just my thoughts on this subject....

Later

T :angel12:

I agree with everyone that has posted to this subject. At 45 the Lord has set in front of me, a path to go down. The path is helping, serving people by becoming an EMT, I have never been in the medical profession at any level before in my life. So I said to the lord I can't, I don't no how, who me. But by faith, I followed what the Lord was saying. I am now a registered and state certified EMT-B and I start my new career on Monday Feb 6, 2006.

By Faith and Faith alone we follow.

Robert

Just to poke a sharp stick at the subject, most religions that I know of, follow that if you are helping someone in need you are doing "God's" work. My understanding is it doesn't much matter which house of worship you sit in to profess your faith, just that you do.

For some reason, we tend to think that our view is right, then exclude the possibility that someone else's could be right also :?

I for one, have to remove myself from people that can't accept that another view is equally valid. There may very well be more than one "right" way to follow the ideas that religion presents, and I am not willing to be told that my way is wrong just because it is different.

--Whoa! Got a bit off topic there, didn't I?

Have to agree with Dust. "All sales are final/Absolutely no returns."

Besides, God will only give you problems that you can handle. This is the measuring stick that is used at the end.

I believe and have always believed that I was led into EMS for whatever reason. I think that much like itku2er that the path that was laid before me has saved my life on more than one occassion, it also opened up a "career" for me when I didn't have a way to finance going on to school.

I am not a regular church goer either... in fact when I do go to church I see many of the people there for reasons besides true worship.. sometimes I'm just like them... I go to make my mother happy, or because I know it's the "right thing to do"...other times, I go because I need the Christian fellowship.... I have always held a strong belief in God, even during times of trial (although, I'll be honest with you.. sometimes it's hard to keep that belief up when you're getting challenged at every turn).

It's good to see other EMS'ers with the same feelings and thoughts.... however, I DO have to warn you PCTiff that this string is likely to get very ugly before long.

Onward Christian Soldiers!

Jo

No Bashing from me; I was raised in a christian home although i have chosen not to follow that or any religious path anymore.

If you believe in god, allah, buddah and can rely on them to make you a better person and to get you through hard times, all the power too you.

I agree with dust, and I will explain why. I can tell you the exact minute that I stopped believing in god. It was october 31st, two years ago. The day after a hurricane leveled my house I was called to a house fire where two children aged 2 and 4 died along with their mother. By the time that they had dragged the second child from the house there was no more faith left in me.

Instead of looking to god for help with dealing with this tragedy I would like to know why the he11 he felt he had to take the lives of two innocent children in such a horrible way.

Just to poke a sharp stick at the subject, most religions that I know of, follow that if you are helping someone in need you are doing "God's" work. My understanding is it doesn't much matter which house of worship you sit in to profess your faith, just that you do.

For some reason, we tend to think that our view is right, then exclude the possibility that someone else's could be right also :?

I for one, have to remove myself from people that can't accept that another view is equally valid. There may very well be more than one "right" way to follow the ideas that religion presents, and I am not willing to be told that my way is wrong just because it is different.

--Whoa! Got a bit off topic there, didn't I?

Have to agree with Dust. "All sales are final/Absolutely no returns."

Besides, God will only give you problems that you can handle. This is the measuring stick that is used at the end.

I have been a student of the teachings of the Buddha for over twenty years and the only problems I have had is the people who can not except me for what I am.

I find that there are a lot equally valid points of view in the world, I follow the path of compassionate living, I try to follow the idea that we are or were realated in the life or past life..if you try to recognize other beings as having been our mothers in some life,(both male and female)then you can not help but deal with people with strong compassion. I can not say that my going into ems a calling or not, I look at it as "why not, I am human and so are you, if I can help you then why wouldn't I"