Mistakes as an ALS student

HF-EMS

Have you made a mistake precepting ALS?  

12 members have voted

1. 1.

• YES
    • NO
    • More Than Once

A friend of mine is in his first ALS class, and during his field time, he made a mistake, that thankfully did not result in any lasting injury/effect to the patient. He has told me that he is no longer confident in his abilities and wants to stop the class he just made it half way through. I told him that even the best medics make mistakes, and he will learn from his experience. Can you guys share some stories, or words of wisdom to help him out. Thanks a lot.

To paraphrase, "There are two types of medics. Those that have made mistakes, and those that are going to."

Now, the type of mistake that was made will make a difference in the advice that should be given. Did his error result in someone getting injured/killed? Did his mistake cause extra paperwork to filled out? Did his preceptor not get to finish his doughnut and coffee?

Because he is in a class, and is still learning new and "exciting" things, some mistakes are expected. Perhaps some dialogue with the previously mentioned preceptor would be in order.

Here's a great quote which sums things up nicely from a warrior and leader...

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat.

Boondock9.jpg

Hope this helps,

ACE844

The only ones that makes errounous mistakes is ones that did not learn off them.... as the old saying, " doctors buries their mistakes"... yes, we all mistakes, and will continue to do so.. hopefully, nothing that will permanently harm or kill someone.. but, that happens. That is why medicine is an art not just science...

If this person, is distraught of making a mistake, it might be for the better. The personality and character of a medic with continuous strive, knows they will make a mistake and will learn from each one. The time to make mistakes is in clinical phase of education, having someone to catch it, know how to resolve it, and as a student will not be penalized for it. So the time to screw up, is while in school.

I know I review mentality, review each call, how I could had done better, or improve on things, even those that went extremely well; why this went so good & others don't.. I don't dwell, but try to learn...even after running several thousands of calls over the past 28 yrs...

Be safe,

R/R 911

• 4 weeks later...