Ride alongs

skinut2234

Welcome skinut! I think if you did a google search ( you can do it from here ) on EMS providers NJ, you could find them in your area. Then contact them to see if they do ride alongs. I'm sure they would be happy to have you.

Not trying to be a smart ass, just this my help you in your search.

Where at in NJ are you? Im in southern NJ, and there are many squad down here that would allow you to ride along, and "test the waters." If you want a way to search for local squads, look at the Dept. of Health website, everyone is in there. If you dont have any luck, send me a message, ill see what I can do.

Back in the day...

That is how I got started, many years ago.

Grew up in Northern NJ, my best friend's mom and sister rode on the squad. When he and I were old enough, we rode along. That was back in the mid 80s. And we both still work in EMS.

There should be plenty of places to observe, ALS, BLS, or both.

If not, drive west. We always take observers.

• 1 year later...

Do what I did. Go to your local EMS station and talk to them in person. You can ask about ride alongs, if they dont take ride alongs they will most likely know of other services where you can head out. Do research online, get involved with volunteer work directly involved with EMS or medical anything. Always lots out there. That will get you connections which can always open new doors for you, you just never know.

Good Luck.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All M3's and M4's are required to ride for 4 hours a year with us. All of the Emergency medicine residents have "EMS Month" where they are out of the hospital for a month and are in some sort of emergency response vehicle be it a Squad car, one of the Fire Engines , one of our Ambulances or flying with the flight program.

We dont get nursing students very often.

All of our Dispatchers are required to ride 24 hours a year.

We also get the normal mix of Students be it EMT-B or EMT-P...

All M3's and M4's are required to ride for 4 hours a year with us.

I require the name of this school. I'll add it to my list to send some money (attached to my secondary application. Secondary applications=extortion) next year.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.