Should deaf people be allowed to be EMT'S or Medics

emt3225

Should deaf people be allowed to be EMT and Medics  

83 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • I couldn't care less

There's a gulf of difference between hard of hearing and deaf. I have a co-worker who wears a hearing aid and uses a special stethoscope, but she is still able to hear and communicate. Would I want to work with a deaf partner? No way, no how. Put aside for the moment (because it's already been brought up) the issue of auscultating BPs and breath sounds. How am I and our patients supposed to communicate with someone who is completely deaf? By writing? By making sure I'm in a position where they can read my lips? I don't think so. Honestly, I can't even begin to express the number of times I rely on my partner's ability to hear, speak, and otherwise communicate in a shift.

Very well said.... =D>

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, maybe I missed it, but how can a deaf person perform simple procedures like communicate on the radio?.. to receive calls, orders, etc.. or to hear SHOTS FIRED!...

Be safe,

R/R 911

They cant and thats why they shouldnt be in this line of work... :wink:

I can still hear and communicate and like I said I can still hear, just out of one ear instead of two.

My parents want me to ride the disability bus, but I refuse because 1.) It limits my income 2.) It limits what I can and cannot do. I want to be able to make a decent living just like anyone else. Being disabled often puts yourself in the lower-income bracket to the point where you have just enough to get by, and if you make too much money you are taken off the disability program.

Im still going to my CEU courses, still looking for that EMS job where I am able to get hired, and the EMT market here is tight because there are more EMTs than there are EMT jobs.

Kinda sucks but eventually it has to work out so I can start making a living.

Alco

Just becareful about who knows. We all know there are those "sue happy" people that would take the issue of being hearing impared (read not deaf as in can't hear a thing) and would try to sue.

• 3 weeks later...
Being partially deaf myself I guess I'm a little biased. I have difficulty listening to breath sounds. I can do it in a perfect environment, but with a little noise I have a hard time. But that's what a partner is for. It seems that there are a lot of people in EMS who have some sort of difficulty that could potentially interfere with performing their job... height, weight, asthma, allergies, dyslexia, etc. But they all find a way to compensate. Hearing impairment should be no different.

Having said that, I wouldn't want to work with a partner who is deaf as well. That would be very bad for the patient, and make it a very long and conversationless shift! :lol:

Devin

I Am also Partially deaf, On my right side. I can Hear breathe sounds and heart tones quite well, I dont have any trouble in the field at all. If i ever did , I would not hesitate to ask my partner to help me.

Okay, total deaf, NO WAY. Partial hearing impairment, Im on the wall. I worked w/someone who was deaf on the right side. I did not find this out until we were at an MVA, jaws/generators going, asked for the ET roll out of the bag(I was on her right, she never heard me). Thankfully one of the FF on scene heard me and was able to give it to me. Afterwards, I freaked. THAT is when I found out that she was deaf in her right ear. We eventually worked pretty well together, became second nature to be on her left side. BUT I MYSELF never felt totally safe. Felt that I was always on hyperalert for any dangers, etc. While this never hindered my patient care I always felt kinda distracted (like there aren't enough distractions on some calls). Eventually, she went on maternity leave and came back as a DISPATCHER!! That is another story in and of itself.....

Anyways, I am rambling on but my point is that while I can applaud the ability to "overcome" the disability and the desire to help people, it is inherently dangerous to everyone.

Just my cents.

I have a Bilateral hearing loss to some degree, and I am testing out in 2 months to be a Critical Care EMT and next spring I will test out as a Paramedic. I never had trouble in my Basic class, although I made sure to log alot more field time to really hone my skills in hearing aspects. I have never had any problems in the field or with my partners.

Although I can not disagree with the others intirely. If they "prospective"EMT is deaf and cannot do B/P's even with the amplified stethoscopes, They should rethink thier intentions.... mybe go into logistics or something. My volunteer squad bought an electronic steth for me, but i rarely use it, unless I am flying on the helicopter, and then it really comes in handy, my other collegues borrow it when they go on the choppers.

i have tremendous respect for anyone who can work through a disability. but you have to consider what is best for the patient. a fire department or ambulkance company could easily be sued for having a deaf emt or medic, i have no doubts tat they are just as knowledgable as any other but there are tasks they somply cannot perform adequatly. i.e. communicate with the patient, breath sounds, operate the siren, use the radio, communicate with the patient, proper blood pressure, and communicate with the patient. overall, bad idea.

"they don't belong in this profession" "they don't belong on the bus". I FIND THAT VERY DISRESPECTFUL

Can they work on the ambulance? No, I don't believe these individuals should be able to for the same reasons that have already been listed BUT saying that "they don't belong in this profession" "they don't belong on the ambulance" is very rude.

Yes I am on the road to becoming deaf myself which is why I'm responding to this post. My months (hope years) are numbered and the day that I realized I can no longer provide a 100% accurate reading I will pull myself off the units but it doesn't mean I DON'T BELONG IN THE PROFESSION. :evil:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.