Building Volunteer Program for College Campus

CalPolyEMT

I'm a second year at Cal Poly State University in San Luis Obispo, CA. I'm a recently certified EMT but at the moment I can't get a job because my hours as a student are inflexible. I've discovered a small group of EMTs in my school who are in the same situation. All we want is to find a job so we can gain some experience, make a difference, and have something to put on our resumes for when we apply for jobs in the summer. So I went to the Athletic Dept to try and organize EMT volunteers for major sports events. So far the head athletic trainer and our athletic director seem very excited about the idea and want to meet together soon to try to figure out the liability issues.

So, my question, does anyone have any suggestions or can tell me any problems we might encounter about liability? Just so I'm prepared and can possible find some solutions before the meeting. Also where could I get equipment? Or is there a way where our school can get discounted equipment since it's a volunteer program? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also I was thinking about getting an EMS crew for our school in general. We have a campus police student internship program with dispatch and everything, I was thinking if it would be worth the while to put EMTs on campus. Does anyone know of any schools that have student-staffed EMS on campus?

I work at a University on the east coast that currently has a very well organized Rescue Squad. If you'd like, I can get you in touch with some of them and you can talk to them firsthand. Just email me at rezq_304@yahoo.com and I'll see what I can do for you.

One option [and I'm not sure how viable] - check with your local Red Cross. I know my chapter provides EMT's for a lot of the local high school/college and special Olympics events. They may have some ideas how you could accomplish what you've got in mind on your campus.

Good luck! It sounds like a very 'win-win' situation for both you, the other EMT's and the students. Keep us informed on hos it's going, please?

I don't know how big your school is and if there would be a need, but have you considered forming a campus response team? By this I mean running 24/7 and responding to 911 calls (in addition to the normal EMS provider) on campus rather than just standby medical coverage. This may be a good way for you to help the college community, while doing something that is fun and will hopefully look good when you try to get a job after school.

Many universities here in Ontario have these teams... I'm on duty right now here in Toronto.

Texas A-M University has a great on campus EMS program with progressive protocols, quality equipment, solid clinical support, and good management. Give them a call, they can definately start you in the right direction.............

http://www.tamect.org/new_website/about.html

http://ems.tamu.edu/

• 3 months later...
Shock Trauma/ Enhanced Technicians in the Western Virginia EMS Region are trained to perform endotracheal intubation, intravenous infusions, intramuscular injections, subcutaneous injections, sublingual injection, glucometer/dextrostick, pulse oximerty and those EMT-B skills listed above.

Uhmm.... ouch!

Hmmm... I wonder if that qualifies them to do tongue piercings?

It definitely pays better than an EMT! :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.