• truck
    • car
    • suv
    • van

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, since I am a small town Medic, I get dispatched anytime, day or night, but the cool thing is that I do whatever I want the rest of the time, hang out a the house, shop, takes kids to park (hafta take 2 cars though) and I never take days off because sometime we go a whole day without a call. Thus, my POV is essential, both for fire and medical.

I drive a (lol) 1983 blue Volvo Turbo, With a light-bar, 100 watt galls siren (w street thunder). I keep a med bag and my fire gear in the back. I take said POV code 3 to ambulance station where I meet my partner (who drives a beat up truck also with light-bar) And we fire up Medic 1 and we are on our way. Our response time is anywhere between 2-6 minutes and the ride from anywhere in town to the hospital is no more than 5 minutes. So it feels kinda like a smash and grab deal. Nothing beats the rural medic gig! :P

Ohh speaking of vehicles. Have you all seen the new JEEP Hurricane Ohhh i so want one. here are some other concept vehicles from JEEP too

http://www.jeep.com/jeep_life/legends/concept_vehicles/index.html?vehicle=ultimate

Kind of. Red to the rear, Amber to the front, Green (VAC) or Blue (VFD) dash lights allowed under NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law.

Then, there's NYS VTL #115-C, which allows a department to authorize a member's POV as a first response vehicle, as long as it's carrying a specified minimum requirements list of equipment, and the operator has the appropriate identification as member of the department, with letter of authorization from the department (just being a member of that department doesn't cut it). Then, the POV can have forward facing Red Lights, and a siren. The vehicle will be referred to, officially, as an "Ambulance Emergency Service Vehicle," and is probably known as a "Fly-Car," or a "Scout Car" locally.

Such L&S are ONLY to be used when the agency dispatches the POV's owner to a scene, as the POV will be then operating as a regular Emergency Vehicle, with such special privileges and responsibilities as a marked departmental Emergency Vehicle would have in Emergency mode.

I'm checking to see if NYC has it's own laws countering such use within the city.

I drive a "car", if you can call it that. It's a 1988 Mercury Topaz. Not the nicest set of wheels on the road but it gets me where I need to go. I'm trying to save up my pennies for something better. I absolutely love the Ford Explorer SportTrac. But trying to raise two small boys doesn't leave too many pennies left in the old piggy bank.

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 4WD. This is my 3rd Dakota. First one I wrecked (97 model) in 99, second one(99 model) I gave to my oldest son last year when he turned 16, and this one I bought from an individual who had to get rid of it to buy his pregnant wife a 4 door car. What a deal -1997 model (7 yrs old when I bought it) and only had 57000 miles on it, and had never been taken off the highway . (BUT IT HAS NOW ! ! ! ! ) :wink:

Drive a gas-guzzling 4 wheel drive, Expedition. No lights, NO stickers of any identifying me as a EMT, Paramedic or RN, & NO jump-kits. Yep I DON'T stop at scenes. Professional medics here refer to these as "billboard medics" ..wanna be's. Do you see physicians or RN's with stickers, lights etc.. with I'm a DR. ! Again, professionalism. Then yet again, it might look tacky on that Lexus.

I am surprised, with all these p.o.v units with emergency lights. It is illegal to place them on your vehicle here. I know the insurance companies have definitely enforced that here, describing unless your vehicle is insured through the F.D., EMS etc.. it will not be insured to respond in emergency status. Volunteers here are expected to drive in a safe & operating manner & do not have emergency exemptions. There is a law here that states "all lighted unmarked vehicles have a uniformed person." This is to help prevent impersonations from occurring.

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.