Signs you are married/engaged/dating an EMS worker....

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

When we were first together, my spouse had a fear of blood, and never liked to hear about the bad traumas or cardiac arrests.

After being married to a medic for 3 1/2 years, I was recently telling her about a self inflicted GSW to the head I ran on that initially didn't accomplish his goal of self-termination.

When I told her about running on a guy that shot himself in the head her response was, "Did he do it right?"

Even the spouses can get used to it!

ugly

• 3 weeks later...

I have lost 2 relationships to the stressors of EMS life in 6 years. The 1st I was engaged and she couldn't handle the long hours and that I was spending alot of time with women. (working) and the 2nd was just recently we had been together for about a year and were living together and I was suffering from PTSD which I didn't realize until after we split and we talked about getting back together and she told me that I was very moody and the littlest thing would set of an argument and I wasn't sleeping well either so I told her that I now realized what was going on and that I would seek help and she said no I cannot go through this again if it happened again. So I just want to thank all the unseen hero's, the spouses of the men and women who work in emergency services for being there for your loved ones when they need you the most.

Be safe all

Wife is a P im a B. While she works full time commercial and im just a lowly slapper (who worked big city commercial) it makes our home life a little weird, but when she has a bad day ie partner, call, politics, whatever she can come home and b***h cuz she knows that I understand. It doesnt work for all but we like it

• 10 months later...

"The worst is when you were married to someone who does not understand your job at all." [/font:e3deb28633]

Did you ever think about explaining??? I have to say that I may be new & maybe I'm doing the wrong thing by speaking up, but I am a spouse that is not a part of the job. My husband has been a volunteer since he was 16 & has been working for a private em co as an emt, but I can't understand. AND I WANT TO :x ! We have talked & I listen as best as I can handle everything he says but sometimes everything coming out of his mouth is over my head & he gets so frustrated that he goes to talk to someone else or is on some kind of website (like this one for ex) all the time pouring out everything. I know that there are things that he would prefer to keep to himself, for my benefit, but I don't want it to get bottled up. We've been together for almost 3yrs & married almost 1yr. I want it to last, and the fact that everything I hear about relationships like this not going far, well, being a spouse that has no idea...I need help understanding.

We do the "there doing it wrong thing". Even the kids get in on it.

Then there's the "Oh, it's just the test page." or "There paging out....." The boyfriend and kids know all the tones already.

Out of the mouth's of babes....."So mom, I heard the sirens today. Was it a bloody call? Did some one lose an arm?

And then there's the EMS Trivia Game. When I get home from work the kids play this game where they guess what types of calls I had and how the patients were treated. It's actually pretty interesting to listen to them.

You sit around the campfire with your neighbors and compare stories.

And the all time best.....the pager tones and my boyfriend is looking for me outside so he can give it to me not realizing I already left with the neighbor (we work together).

Tips for succesful EMS marriage (coming from an unmarried guy with a history of dubious relationships)

1. Leave your boots at the door.

2. Shower before you come home.

3. Let your job be just that.

4. Work hard to make up for the times you're not there.

5. Let them know they are more important than strangers are.

6. Be glad to come home.

Follow those tips and you won't end up in divorce court, and your relationship will last much longer than the novelty ever could think of.

1. Leave your boots at the door.

Better yet, leave your whole uniform at the door.

Come home in a bra and panties and see how fast your significant other forgets that you abandoned him to go play hero.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.