I would like your opinion about a funky EKG

EMT6388

Ok, 1st of all QUIT calling it A-Fib!! Let's look at this in different parts.

1. At the beginning of the strip the QRS's plot out. = NOT A-FIB.

2. At the end of the strip the QRS's plot out. = NOT A-FIB !!

3. There are some ectopic beats. The smaller ones. Not ventricular (it doesn't appear)

4. Narrow complexes. = NOT V-TACH !!

5. So what is it?

It's a conversion rhythm. Whoever said that was ABSOLUTELY right. You "convert" from a Tachy 150 bpm to a slower rhythm with some ectopic premature beats. The "fluff" in the middle is probably just the heart reacting from the conversion. You are all forgetting that this is a 98 y.o. heart. It probably does this a lot. I think we've beat this horse long enough. By the way, did someone say that ST was an SVT rhythm? Hmmm?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, 1st of all QUIT calling it A-Fib!! Let's look at this in different parts.

1. At the beginning of the strip the QRS's plot out. = NOT A-FIB.

2. At the end of the strip the QRS's plot out. = NOT A-FIB !!

3. There are some ectopic beats. The smaller ones. Not ventricular (it doesn't appear)

4. Narrow complexes. = NOT V-TACH !!

5. So what is it?

It's a conversion rhythm. Whoever said that was ABSOLUTELY right. You "convert" from a Tachy 150 bpm to a slower rhythm with some ectopic premature beats. The "fluff" in the middle is probably just the heart reacting from the conversion. You are all forgetting that this is a 98 y.o. heart. It probably does this a lot. I think we've beat this horse long enough. By the way, did someone say that ST was an SVT rhythm? Hmmm?

I was right, hooray. Converted Supraventricular tachycardia. :D

Finally, someone who agrees with me. =D

Nah, I'm with you, Intothis, and CHPmedic. I am confident it is A-fib with ectopi. Neither the P's nor the complexes march out. Close, but not quite.

So make that a cardio nurse and a pedi nurse saying A-fib. :P

• 1 month later...

I dont know what you are all arguing about. There is obviouslly a border line SVT ST AFIB that goes into a Bigeminy with it looks like Multifocal PVC's some sort of ectopy (cant tell because of the quality)....Whatever, this is clearly a case of treat the patient not the monitor.

That is my 2 cents, we could sit here all day and say well maybe its a 1st degree Sinus tach. whatever those "junctional beats" are conversion beats subsequent to the PVC, the heart beat after a PVC pretty much has the right to be whatever it wants to be.

Treat the Patient, not the monitor. Unless things changed, no drugs for this guy, unless you have other findings or complaints.

You know what's scary here.....that everyone has such different opinions.... :shock: LMFAO.....

I'm going to go along with the A-Fib with ectopy....makes the most sense to me...

:roll:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.