Lift Test

b_493

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi! I just passed pre-emplyment written/skills testing for an ambulance company, and all I have left to do now is a drug and lift test. All I've been told about the lift test is that it is 125lbs. How does a lift test work?

Generally the cot is hooked onto the catch hook of the ambulance and someone who weighs around that (or weights) are placed on the cot and you are asked to load the cot. Sometimes they will put someone at the other end and you'll have to lift the cot from level 2 (where someone can sit on the cot from a standing position) to load position.

125 lbs is easy because you are only lifting a fraction of that weight.

My lift test for my Paramedic program here in Ontario involves putting a backboard onto the stretcher (at whatever height you like), lowering the stretcher all the way, raising it up all the way, loading it, and then switching sides and doing the whole thing again. We also then need to do a stair chair lift test of either one or two flights of stairs, up and down, and then switch (number of flights and weight depends on which semester you're in).

At my college we have to do:

90kg pt (~200lbs) on a Stryker stretcher.

At the head up the stairs

At the head down the stairs

At the feet up the stairs

At the feet down the stairs

Only allowed one break to "readjust" your grip

Let me tell you, that's awkward...

At my college we have to do:

90kg pt (~200lbs) on a Stryker stretcher.

At the head up the stairs

At the head down the stairs

At the feet up the stairs

At the feet down the stairs

Only allowed one break to "readjust" your grip

Let me tell you, that's awkward...

Ours was pretty much the same as above we had to do 2 flights of stairs. Also we had to carry a Pt on A backboard around the Olympic Oval mezzanine in Calgary. That was freaking hard!!!!

My lift test for my Paramedic program here in Ontario involves putting a backboard onto the stretcher (at whatever height you like), lowering the stretcher all the way, raising it up all the way, loading it, and then switching sides and doing the whole thing again. We also then need to do a stair chair lift test of either one or two flights of stairs, up and down, and then switch (number of flights and weight depends on which semester you're in).

This is similar to what our service does at the hospital, but the stair test is simpler.

I wish the lift test I had to retake involved an actual gurney. But no, they have to use a barbell that is suppose to simulate lifting a gurney, so they say. Hello with a gurney the weight all goes out in front of you, with a barbell it is all out to the side.

Anyway the one I had to take. The barbell is on a rack 1 foot off the ground, you have to lift it an additional 3 feet (total of 4). Start with the 45 pounds that equal the bar and add on weights until you reach 110lbs. There is an occupational therapist watching you to make sure you use perfect ergonomic lifting form. It's not so bad if you are tall, all you have to do is stand up, those of us who are short (myself) have to give it a little more (bicep curl or arm raise), standing on tip toes is not allowed. ANd there is no stopping in teh middle and readjusting your grip like you can do with a gurney.

I wish like he-double hockeysticks that my service had a lift requirement!!! There is a medic that works with me who can barely lift herself! She never takes the head, and can't even put the stupid stretcher into LOAD! I usually get the privilige of working with her.

• 3 weeks later...

For my company, our lift test consisted of three parts.

1. We had to walk up and down 4 stairs, three times with a 40 pound weight in each hand.

2. We had to step up up down down on a foot tall step at a certain rate for three minutes.

3. We had to do a simulated lift of 125 lbs from the floor to our waist 5 times.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.