oxygen

kev32888

hey all greetings from the great state of TX I am having a time here we are having to write up drug cards for class and one of the drugs that the teacher has for us is o2 now the only problem that I am having is that I cant find ANY THING ON OXYGEN our unstirred says that it is

hell I went has far has contacting the Arther of our text book Norman McSWAIN jr and he said in a very biased comment that o2 was a drug

and that most pharmacological companies do not consider it to be one well I went another step asked my wife of 11 yrs who is also a RN for pedi in a hospitable here and she said that it was not I have looked in 2000 and 2005 drug books and you guessed it cant find anything on it my family DR told me to look at a MSDS sheet on o2 our text book is the only thing that has anything with indications contraindications dosage side effects so on I would Love to hear from any one else on this subject thanks Kevin

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey all greetings from the great state of TX I am having a time here we are having to write up drug cards for class and one of the drugs that the teacher has for us is o2 now the only problem that I am having is that I cant find ANY THING ON OXYGEN our unstirred says that it is

hell I went has far has contacting the Arther of our text book Norman McSWAIN jr and he said in a very biased comment that o2 was a drug

and that most pharmacological companies do not consider it to be one well I went another step asked my wife of 11 yrs who is also a RN for pedi in a hospitable here and she said that it was not I have looked in 2000 and 2005 drug books and you guessed it cant find anything on it my family DR told me to look at a MSDS sheet on o2 our text book is the only thing that has anything with indications contraindications dosage side effects so on I would Love to hear from any one else on this subject thanks Kevin

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm really sorry...PLS FORGIVE ME FOR SAYING THIS!

But....that post gave me a headache.

What is your aversion to the PERIOD?

Medical oxygen is controlled by the FDA and as such is considered a "drug" by them. See this website for information on the handling of various "Medical Gases" of which oxygen is one.

http://www.fda.gov/cder/guidance/cmgg89.htm#Drug_Cont

This should provide more than enough info for a quick study card!

EMT_Chick, we had the same textbook here and yes it is listed as a drug in the pharmacology section, and even on the final that our instructor gave us stated that O2 was a drug. Correct me if I am wrong but doesnt the NREMT EMT-Basic test classify O2 as a drug??? I am trying to remember correctly.

-Dixie

You will find that O2 has more uses than listed in the text book. I often use it to calm down hysterical pt.s, and believe it or not it does work. Also it can be used to clear a drunks mental status high flow O2 will kill a persons buzz right away.Keep in mind that O2 will almost never hurt your Pt. So it isn't really a big thing to stress over.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.