Horton Electrical problems

jhayes

Horton has had major electrical problems for the past 36 years, in other words, since they began making ambulances. Always malfunctions on the electrical boards w/ the warning lights, siren, interior lights, head lights, backup alarm, etc.

We were on I 80 in 70 in our 69 Horton van, 2am, severe snow storm, wipers quit. Then, the headlights went out. Had to call for a backup rig, which was a 69 Miller Meteor Cadillac. Never had problems w/ the Caddy's.

• 5 months later...

we have an 04 on an E350 chasis and we've had a ton of electrical problems as well. also with the air suspension but i hear thats a chronic ford problem.

Used to work for a service that had a fleet of 5 Hortons. Guaranteed that at least one of them would have electrical problems during any given week.

We currently have 1 (yes, only one) Horton in a fleet of 26 vehicles. It has a messed up electrical board, and Horton wants $2000 to replace which ever one needs replaced. Ain't gonna happen, the truck is now in reserve.

Electrical problems there aint no stinkin electrical problems on hortons. HA HA

WE had a horton that was in the shop more that it was on the road. Usually the control module.

Had smoke in the ambulance on a cardiac transfer that we had to call another service in to transport cause we were 80 miles away from our base.

So if you have the ability to spec ambulances and work on the bidding then I suggest an alternate provider of your ambulances.

• 6 months later...

we have 2 Hortons and have another on order for delivery next May. Only electrical problem we've had on ours was the module disconnect button didn't work for a few days two weeks ago, but there was a manual override for that. Horton installed a new board in it under warranty.

I think the negatives outweigh the postitives when it comes to Hortons. I've worked in a service with 11 hortons and another with 5 hortons and in any given week at least 2-3 of the 11 were out of service.

There are better ambulance manufacturers out there.

• 3 weeks later...

The vehicle brand mentioned shares a common problem with some of the other ambulance manufacturers. Namely, they use an "outsourced" electrical system (not built by them) that incorporates PC boards and/or multiplexing technology. Why? Some feel that it saves them costs by reducing the amount of wiring, purchasing of separate components from different vendors, and ease of installation. Some clients also like all of the "gee whiz" features on a neat-looking panel that looks like something out of a science fiction movie. Nothing wrong with that if you use it everyday but folks who only operate a vehicle on an occasional basis (like many volunteers) can become overwhelmed by all of the crazy switching and logic circuits that can be programmed into most of these electrical systems. They want something simple where they hit a switch and know what it will do. Problems can arise due to voltage spikes and other problems that typically can occur with any vehicle. While we all use to be able to repair our own personal car with tools we typically had in our garage, today it takes many thousands of dollars of sophisticated diagnostics and years of training in some cases to work on vehicles that contain all kinds of "on-board" computers. Oddly, most of them are really necessary to operate a vehicle but folks once again like having all of those fancy creature comforts and gadgets found in most know automobiles. Even the ambulance dealers need special equipment and training to service some of the brands. Many large fleet EMS systems shy away from such "complex" items since they either have already had experience with them or don't feel that the system will be user friendly to their requirements.

In defense of such systems, it can be difficult to build a single system that is adaptable to a wide range of chassis that can be selected by a customer (i.e. Ford, GM, International). Each of those chassis has an electrical system that can operate in a different manner and trying to get another system to function perfectly every time in conjunction with the chassis electrical system can be a problem, especially if you want some specific logic requirements to occur (i.e. shutting down some lights when the transmission is placed in park, activating the high idle).

Remember, the more complicated the system, the more likelihood for problems. Technology is a wonderful thing. We rely on it every day. However, when technology fails, it usually fails us in a spectacular manner. Not a very reassuring thought when you are stranded on the side of the road with a patient going down the tubes or you are even unable to respond out of your station due to a "dead" vehicle that may have a problem that is as simple as a broken or corroded contact on a circuit board.

I find EMS folks at trade shows that seem to be getting informed about such items. Where they used to look at all of the lights and sirens first, they know seem to be just as concerned and ask important questions abut the electrical system, service issues, accessiblity, etc. Sounds like some of them have already learned their lesson in the past or have good advice from a peer about avoiding such problems.

My advice if you are in a position to buy vehicles- study what is out there. Don't be distracted by the gingerbread which may be presented to you in a way to simply distract you from a particular product's shortcomings. There are some good manufacturers out there and then there are some that build whatever they can get a customer to accept.

• 3 months later...

Horton 2006 Ford F-550

No problems to speak of at all, except that the bumber has been replaced twice due to wildlife strikes.

Our fleet is currently transitioning to Ford F-450's now. The '550 is just to top heavy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.