1. 1.

• Yes, I would
    • No way I would participate in this
    • Don't know

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I feel sorry for that guy's family and not to sound like a heartless ahole but this mandatory death penalty has been on the books for a very very long time. It has been published many times about the babarity of this sentence but this guy did the crime and even though 14 ounces of heroin sounds like a small amount, its just 2 ounces short of a pound. that's a lot of dope guys.

He knew the penalty of getting caught yet he did the crime anyway.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse according to our criminal justice code. So why should it be different there?

Plus I believe he used to at least live in Singapore so he definately should have known the penalty.

It's a harsh penalty but if you know what the penalty is for doing something then you have to accept that if you are caught you are screwed.

First off, no offence to you letterman But SCREW THE U.N.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are as currupt as any other government but yet they seem to go unpunished. If we don't like there policy on something, to bad so sad they still use us as their private police force. So the American military takes all the heat. anyway off topic.

Yea i would start the IV and push the drugs. simple answer.

About 8 years ago I had the opportunity to possibly sit on the jury in a death penalty case. A guy killed his wife for the insurance.

I wanted out of jury duty so I said I was in the business of saving lives and not taking them. They excused me. I think I would hold to that belief today also.

I'm all for the death penalty but I don't want to be the one to push the button. Heck I think that if someone gets sentenced to death, then their sentence should be carried out quickly. Convict in trial 1, retry immediately with a new jury and if they convict and recommend death, then a 3 judge appeals court reviews it for procedural errors, if none, then it is reviewed by the Supreme court one last time and if they don't issue a stay, then it goes to the governor and he either allows a stay/commute or he doesn't. If all those are completed and still the guy/gal is to die then take em out to the courthouse steps and tie the rope or put him either in the gas/electric or lethal injection room. None of this pussy footing around and appeals going on for years. Let the bleeding hearts pay for those.

It cost more to put someone to death than it does to house them for life. Think about that.

How would you reconcile that process with the group in Illinois (I'm pretty sure it was here...that or Indiana) that has determined that over 100 cases which they investigated (death row cases all) were found to have wrongly convicted the wrong person and sentenced them to death row? This is despite appeals processes and everthing.

Thank you for noting, too, that the costs to execute a con is more than what it would take to lock them up for the rest of their natural life.

-be safe.

who ever decided that the cost of putting someone to death is more than housing them for life must have failed math. i don't see how it could figure out that way. But it is the gov. that pays for it with out looking at what they're paying for

well there's the crux of the issue. those are only my thoughts, my thoughts on what should happen. But if they are innocent then I'm not sure.

No one failed math on the costs.

you house someone in a prison for life and there are set costs - room, board, food, activities, job costs etc.

But you put someone to death you have to account for all the tremendous amount of legal fees that will be spent on the appeals. some death row inmates have had upwards of 100 appeals, all paid for by you and me and our tax dollars. Consider the fact that an average appeal could run upwards of 100 thousand dollars in terms of hours spent by lawyers, investigators and the like. Someone has to pay those fees. Sure an attorney for the inmate could be working pro-bono but the state is not. So consider a small number of appeals 100 thousand times lets say 15 appeals = 1.5 million plus close to the same amount of money spent to house that inmate in a cell as a similar lifer.

One appeal or two appeals for a lifer at 100K a pop and you get the math.

Ok i do see your point. However that goes to show how smart the gov. was by not putting a limit on the number of appeals. but again looking at the costs involved after an inmate is put to death the appeals and subsequent costs that would have been incurred from them are no longer an issue, They stop at the time of death. where as a lifer can continue to tie up the courts and rack up more legal fees so and so forth till they die a nice comfy death in the home that you and i provide for them. that is what disturbs me the most.

Please if you feel like i may have attacked you by a response, know that it was not intentional.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.