1. 1.

• Yes, I would
    • No way I would participate in this
    • Don't know

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way I would participate. I shouldn't have to carry that burden around, of taking a life. However I am for the death penalty, Sound like a conflict? I don't think so. I don't believe execution should be a sterile little medical procedure, its too much like putting a rabid animal down. As much as the guilty party deserves to be executed, he does not deserve to be put down the same way a sick/injured animal is. When a person is executed , for whatever reason, they are then square with the house as far as I'm concerned, have PAID the ultimate price in full. There's a dignity in that, especially if they have expressed remorse. It ticks me off when a condemned man expresses sorrow, or apologizes for his acts, and then somebody criticizes his last remarks if he forgot to mention somebody. Don't they think he might have had a lot on his mind at that point? If we respect ourselves, we owe them better. It does not require a person with medical training to end a life. WHy can't a prison official be taught to start an IV, its a simple psychomotor skill. Why can't they hang the prisoner (quick, humane if its done right). No muss, no fuss, no philosophical dilemma.

It ticks me off when a condemned man expresses sorrow, or apologizes for his acts, and then somebody criticizes his last remarks if he forgot to mention somebody. Don't they think he might have had a lot on his mind at that point?

Ehhh... I figure they've had at least a decade or two to work that farewell speech out and get it straight. They could memorize and flawlessly recite the old testament after that amount of time. So, I really don't think they are "forgetting" anybody at that point.

It does not require a person with medical training to end a life. WHy can't a prison official be taught to start an IV, its a simple psychomotor skill.

Actually, that is exactly what they do.

It's an interesting philosphical question. Countless studies show that the death penalty had little to no effect as a deterrent to a crime. Supermax prisons have demonstrated that they can effectively contain the most dangerous of prisoners indefinitely. So really the death penalty only feeds an individual and society's need for vengence. Its the question of "When does doing something for the greater good stop being ethical?" If a heinous crime had been commited, and hundreds upon thousands of epople were crying for someone's death, and it was turning things upside down the fact no one had been executed for the crime, I mean it was really having an effect on a lot of people, would it be ethical to execute someone who if it meant people would be able to get a sense of satisfaction and go on about their daily lives? Oh yeah, before Dust throws the "loony left egghead east coast commie pinko liberal" sticker at me again, I should mention that I am actually pro death penalty. Its jsut I am not rabidly pro death death penalty, and I think its a lot more complicated an issue than its usally made out to be.

I'm actually with ya there, Asys. I firmly believe in the death penalty BUT... I frequently oppose it because of the potential for executing an innocent person. The potential in our system is too great.

On the other hand, as I said before, some people need killin'. Tookie was one of them. And I wouldn't lose a moment's sleep over pulling the trigger.

Personally, I would rather die quickly and peacefully than spend my life in a cage, guilty or not. You wouldn't find me appealing for decades, that's for sure. And I think anybody who feels otherwise is a psychopath. :lol:

I don't think that I would do it, because it would be going outside of our scope of practice, not to mention the fact that there are ethical & legal implications to consider...

Hell, I believe in bringing back public hangings.. with the picnics and all. There was a decline in crime then. Yes, given the scenario, I think we could raffle off tickets to see who get to push the syringe and help pay victims fund. Can you imagine how much money would be generated?..... LOL :shock:

Be safe,

R/R 911

I SOLEMNLY PLEDGE myself to consecrate my life to the service of humanity.

Some people need killin'!

OK, mom was reading over my shoulder again. She commented that if taking a killer out of circulation, permanently, is in the service of humanity, than so be it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.