1. 1.

• Yes, I would
    • No way I would participate in this
    • Don't know

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh please, combat mindset... whatever, no more Jean-Claude Van Damme movies for you..

I don't like Jean-Claude Van Damme movies, I'm more of a Bruce Willis fan, and since I noticed a little blue arrow in your profile you don't even kind of understand what I mean. Pointe is, taking human life is taking human life, so if it's such a rough thing to prepare yourself for killing someone to save your own life how much harder would it be to kill someone strapped to a table?

You know, in this crazy world where we pretty much accept lies from our government to go to war, and people look to Paris Hilton and Ashton Kutcher as their personal heroes, this may sound a little odd, but bear with me here...

My point about not taking part in execution is this. When I was sworn in to my position, I raised my right hand and basically said that I would never use my knowledge of medicine to cause harm to a patient. I didn't say "to any patient who has not been found guilty in a court of law..." I said "to any patient." The reason I would not take part in an execution is because I swore that I wouldn't. I took an oath, and I am sworn too it, so no matter how much money you pay me, I'm not going to do it. If 99% of the world will do whatever it takes to make a buck, let them, but not me, simply because I said I wouldn't, not because it wouldn't pay me enough or I might feel guilty about it, I said I would not ever cause harm to a patient, and that is all I need.

The whole reason we have oaths like this is because as everyone knows, medicine can be pretty darn horrible sometimes. The ethical basis of doing the things that we do in medicine is because we are always in our hearts trying to help the patient. Without that ethical tenet, medicine is no different than cruel treatment of humans. That's why these oaths are in place.

When I was sworn in to my position, I raised my right hand and basically said that I would never use my knowledge of medicine to cause harm to a patient.

What's that got to do with shooting, hanging, or electrocuting them? Even the guys administering lethal injection aren't operating off of any real medical knowledge. Just following ABC instructions.

The fact of the matter is anybody I perform a medical procedure on is a patient. Look, learn the medical arts, use them for death and destruction, its your choice. When I was sworn in I took the Declaration of Geneva, so I can't do it.

(From Wikipedia)

The Declaration of Geneva reads "AT THE TIME OF BEING ADMITTED AS A MEMBER OF THE MEDICAL PROFESSION:

I SOLEMNLY PLEDGE myself to consecrate my life to the service of humanity;

I WILL GIVE to my teachers the respect and gratitude which is their due;

I WILL PRACTICE my profession with conscience and dignity;

THE HEALTH OF MY PATIENT will be my first consideration; <--------- !!!!!!!!!!!

I WILL RESPECT the secrets which are confided in me, even after the patient has died;

I WILL MAINTAIN by all the means in my power, the honor and the noble traditions of the medical profession;

MY COLLEAGUES will be my sisters and brothers;

I WILL NOT PERMIT considerations of age, disease or disability, creed, ethnic origin, gender, nationality, political affiliation, race, sexual orientation, or social standing to intervene between my duty and my patient;

I WILL MAINTAIN the utmost respect for human life from its beginning even under threat and I will not use my medical knowledge contrary to the laws of humanity; <-------- !!!!!!!!!

I MAKE THESE PROMISES solemnly, freely and upon my honor.

See, this means "at all times" not "if the patient is innocent or the price isn't right".l

THE HEALTH OF MY PATIENT will be my first consideration; <--------- !!!!!!!!!!!

I will not use my medical knowledge contrary to the laws of humanity; <-------- !!!!!!!!!

When you say you were sworn in, what does this mean? I've worked municipal jobs in the past and have been sworn in in the sense of a government employee. But I've never been made to swear to anything similar to what you've just posted. Honest curiosity here.

I don't think the condemned inmate is a patient regardless of what you're doing to them. Starting a line in this case doesn't really constitute medical treatment. Just like starting a line on me right here and now wouldn't constitute medical treatment. It would still be an invasive procedure...but it's not a treatment simply because there's nothing to treat.

But you're going to argue against that and this particular discussion will go around and around.

Next, you wouldn't be using your knowledge contrary to the laws of humanity. The current law of the land is that the death penalty is permissable. Further I would argue that there are circumstances where allowing or assisting in the death of another would show respect for the person.

Gotta call...finish later.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.