Performing execution

Ridryder 911

Would you adminster the fatal medication for execution  

59 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, I would
    • No way I would participate in this
    • Don't know

Okay, off a similar thread. As I described the local AMA did an informal poll of local physicians that would participate in administration of the lethal drug. A shocked AMA received that a large percentage responded they would and also do it for free.

So here it is . You are offered through the corrections department to administer the lethal dose of the medication to cause death to the convict. He/She has admitted guilt of a brutal murder, even video taped the incidence so there is no wrongful accusation.

Be safe,

R/R 911

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way that I understand the process of lethal injection, an IV is started, the medications are connected to the IV tubing from inside a secured container, and the executioner pushes a button to start the sequence of drugs.

Considering the number of times that we have pushed a medication, up close and personal, only to watch a bad response to it, the most dramatic thing about this process is the starting of the IV(s).

Interesting scenario...

It is not as if we were following the orders of a communistic leader where we would be an instrument of genoside. But, on the world united nations view would we be seen as an accomplise of murder through corrupt views of crime in some cases by some countries. Having recently seen a documentary on the holocost where hilter's men were held liable for such crimes against man, they were held accountable. This is similar to the war crime tribunals that are still ongoing with the government leaders and their military activists who were in Rwanda. Yet their punishment as facilitated by the UN is/was a death sentance in most cases.

Yet again, being that the crime was done as a punishment on a known criminal beyond a shadow of a doubt verses the innocent public, there seems as if there is general public support internationally for such acts of justice. The question for each person I suppose is will their conscience allow them to get away with such acts of violence. Innocent or guilty the act of killing someone is still violence causing death. Is the killing an act of violence or an act of justice? Thus we get the case of a firing squad where one person shoots a blank shot and therefore all the shoters have a reasonable doubt as to their actually firing the deadly shot. And there again an out for a person to have any guilty feelings as to their part in the crime not knowing for sure that their shot was the blank.

Personally, I would not have issues taking the lead role in such an act of justice (what I call it) as it is greater for the whole, a sentance that was determined by a legal approved democratic government process, and that was appropriate for the premeditated crime that caused such a sentance.

Please advise when such an opportunity arises.

I took the oath of Geneva before I was sworn in. I think knowingly administering a lethal injection to someone would go against the principle of 'primum, non nocere', and therefore would not do it. Defending yourself against a patient is one thing. Pushing something you absolutely know 100% for sure will kill someone to a person strapped down to a gurney is another. Therefore, I would be unable to do it, and quite frankly, I wish they'd stop using paramedics to even start the IV in lethal injection settings.

Interesting to see how many people would administer the fatel drug, who wouldn't and who just didn't know if they could or not. I am one that voted that I didn't know. If it came right down to it, and I was the only one designated to do it.....as much as I am for capital punishment...It is really so hard to say.

I agree, AngelKiss - you never really know until you're faced with the situation.

I didn't know if I could aim and fire a weapon at another living being until Desert Storm.

I can.

And it's something that I'll carry with me the rest of my life. But the rest of my unit came back alive and my patients were protected - I could see no other option. And if the same thing were to happen today [threat to self, family or patient], I'd draw and fire in a New York Minute.

Not quite the same thing, I know. Could I push the button? Don't know. It might have actually been easier for me when I was younger - I looked at life's checks and balances a bit differently then. Now? That's between me and my Higher Power.

If it was a situation as you said to protect my kids, myself, family or friends....I wouldn't think twice about it...but when you have a human being strapped in a chair...could I look into their eye's and give them something that they and I both know is going to kill them? I know I may be contradicting myself because yeah, I would be one to say put him to death if he was proved guilty for a horrid crime because I would feel I have protected others who would have fallen victim to that person if he was let out on the streets again.

But to be the one to actually do it...is kinda freaky to think about.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.