I NEED IDEAS!!!

What day of the week would you rather attend a Con-Ed class?  

52 members have voted

1. 1.

• Sunday
    • Monday
    • Tuesday
    • Wednesday
    • Thursday
    • Friday
    • Saturday

At the last conference( KEMTA ) I went to there was a class about taking care of ourselves as ems providers. Typically we are all so busy caring for everyone else's needs we neglect our own. The evaluations for this class were glowing, I know b/c I am doing the summary of all the conference evaluations. Steve Berry presented a class on working with deaf pt's which was also a great class. Of course any of Steve's classes tend to be great!! Issues with documentation and what to expect in the courtroom,always helpful. Around here pediatric classes are what is wanted most. Protocols, I am also guilty of not remembering everything in the protocols(especially since they just changed).

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what type of system you operate in but a subject that is always interesting is tactical medicine. School shooting situations or other similar operations. The local police agency can be involved as well.

• 2 years later...

How about near drowning and poss head/spine injury at a local pool. You could have the class for the crews and also invite the families, local FD etc. Everyone brings food and drinks and you make a day of it. We did this annually when I was EMS director for a local service. It's kinda hard to do now since I work for a college. Some how the admin. can't see giving CE credit for a pool party.

• 1 month later...

When I'm getting ideas together for my show each week, I take hints from stories in the news about EMS. There is usually something in the news that spurs discussion around the station. For instance, the recent death of Heath Ledger and the reports that he was "still warm". You could do a class on your DOA protocol. What should you do to verify death, when should you start CPR or not, handling DNRs, dealing with family or bystanders?

Another big story recently involved the Quaid twins and an avoidable medication error - a great jumping off point for a review of med administration techniques and common errors from dosing mistakes to correct documentation of an error.

Hope that helps!

Classes that have been popular with my students: Street Drugs, Asthma, Behavioral Emergencies. Watch for new medical information and develop a class, The Bariatric Patient has been very popular, there are many complications we see from Bariatric Surgeries. Legal and documentation classes are always needed and they love large CEU classes like PHTLS. Check out the class Sick Not Sick (I think it was an AAOS class). You can purchase it and it is very good!

• 2 months later...

One that we use is the recognition of clandestine drug labs and treatment of patients injured in such labs. The local Sheriff's department helps put it on and shows all of the stuff that is used. Very informative and presents new situations for your students. They cover scene safety and what to do if you think you may have a patient in a home with a lab. IE: Called for chest pain but you recognize elements of a lab.