I NEED IDEAS!!!

What day of the week would you rather attend a Con-Ed class?  

52 members have voted

1. 1.

• Sunday
    • Monday
    • Tuesday
    • Wednesday
    • Thursday
    • Friday
    • Saturday

What i like to do are 2 things.

1. Depending on what time of year it is i like to figure out what kinds of calls we are going to be faced with the most. ie: enviromental emergencies hot- cold, drownings, ski accidents.

2. There always comes a time when someone dosnt remember how to do something or use something. when this happens i like to do a refresher on a piece of equiptment. protocols are also something i like to go over. im guilty of not remembering if i had to call medcon for activated charcol. lol

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In order to maintain our CE hours my squad holds weekly mandatory trainings on sunday nights, unless it's a school vacation (we're a college squad excluding summer break because we're all here) and nights that we have our meetings. I think sunday nights work really well because most people I know use sundays as a relaxed kind of day and if you go away on the weekend usually you're back by 1800 Sunday night so attendence can be sure to be higher. Just a suggestion based on what my squad does. Also it helps to do seasonal type trainings, summer's around the corner there's common traumas then just like different holidays and seasons have their more common traumas. Also it's always good to review pediatrics because everyone forgets those often. And because drugs and ODs are more and more common everywhere try and get someone from your local poison control center to teach a training on that.

:lol:

Hi, Can i suggest going to my skills page where you can print quizes or tests, or copy and e-mail to your people to take. There is an endless choice of topics. Yea sure? How much? FREE, Yep thats right! Also try the mega code interactive simulators for fun and learning. I made my site for EMT'S to keep their skills fresh. Check it out, you wont be dissapointed!!

Thank you all for what you do!! www.traumamedic.com

One thing that sounds kind of redundant, but you'd be surprised at how many of us have below standard documentation skills. Try to defend them in court and I guarantee you'll never document the same way again. The folks I work with know the standards now and they actually take the time to meet them. It also does wonders on the service's reputation when they see good documentation.

Did that make sense?

Why not look outside the box at topics like:

Children with Special Health-care needs and EMS

EMS Stress Management

EMS Health and Fitness

SIDS

Provider Safety (In and outside the Ambulance)

BLS Providers assisting ALS Providers :wink:

May I suggest,

Summer time coming:

Treatment of Burns

Drowning & near drowning

Environmental injuries.. including heat stroke, exhaustion

Pediatric emergencies

Trauma

Sports Injuries

Outdoor or wilderness injuries

Just some thoughts

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

• 1 month later...

The legal stuff is a great idea. Denise Graham authored a wonderful book on Legally Defensible Report Writing. While not an EMS provider herself, Ms. Graham works with a legal firm, (she is an RN), and she is married to a paramedic, who has, undoubtedly, provided her with assistance in her journey to help us avoid legal woes. I think she's listed under Clemens publishing on the web, if you care to look up her book info.

For my own students, in their Introduction to the Prehospital Environment, I have two police officers, who provide a Crime Scene Awareness class (it's brief) done from the police perspective, come in and speak about how, we as EMS providers, can help preserve the crime scene, while still effectively and safely doing our job. Then, my Program Director, has another Paramedic Instructor, who is an adjunct faculty member at our college, and a tactical paramedic, come in and speak on the same topic, but from the EMS provider's perspective. It's quite interesting for the students to put all the information together.

Now, if you're looking for activities, as well as for topics, I have some 'game' templates that we use in our classroom that I can share with you. We have a Jeopardy template (we had to purchase an $800 interactive buzzer set to go with the overhead projection template that I made up! And we tried the 'cheap' Jeopardy buzzer set for school kids....that didn't work out). I also made up a Medic Bingo for Pharmacology, and I'm completing a MedicMonopoly right now (very time consuming one to make). We are also working on a sort of 'wheel of misfortune'.....don't laugh.....we haven't quite got that down yet, but we're working on it....it's like a roulette wheel contraption. Anyway, we happily share whatever helps out others in need. Good luck with your search.

Teresa

Please understand that I don't recognize the reference. Here in New York City, Con Ed is the power company, Consolidated Edison.

What is your reference to Con-Ed, something like CME, spelled out as Continued Medical Education?

I don't know what type of system you operate in but a subject that is always interesting is tactical medicine. School shooting situations or other similar operations. The local police agency can be involved as well.